• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to this Camera thing.

This is the 1st time I ever have tried to use trail cameras.

I think I set them up correctly.

How often do you check them?

Looking forward to seeing if the hard work I have been putting in is showing up in the woods yet?

I generally go 3-4 weeks between checking ours. I think the most pictures I've had during that period is just under 500 but I had a 1 minute interval set. If you are shooting video or have short intervals set, you might want to check them more often.

Of course you want to disturb the areas as little as possible especially as season approaches so check as infrequently as possible is best. With that in mind, it stinks when you go out to check them and something is wrong with one and you haven't been getting pictures for weeks. Batteries can die, cards can get full, straps can break, branches can fall and block your view, etc.

For me 3-4 weeks seems to work well. Of course we have had pictures recorded hours after we checked the cameras so it seems checking them doesn't always disturb the area too much.

I check my cameras once a week. I have extra SD and compact flash cards so they get swapped out and I check them on my computer, just get a card reader that plugs into the USB port. No sitting in the heat and bugs looking at 200+ pictures for me. A couple of my cameras run on 6 volt batteries, I've bought rechargeable batteries for them so I also swap them out. I have all my cameras over a salt block, and I also dump a little shelled corn out every week to draw them in. I'll stop the corn about Sept. 1.

I don't set my cameras by any of my stands, I don't want my activity to keep deer away from them, I just want to see what kind of deer are in the area. When you get a picture of a big one, hopefully it will give you the incentive to stay on stand longer.

Its fun having these cameras, almost like opening Christmas presents every time you go thru your memory cards!!! You never know what you'll get!!

I try to check my cameras close to home every 1-2 weeks. I haven't had a chance to get up north to check those yet. It really is exciting putting that memory card in the viewer and seeing what's on there. Most times, just does or a few young bucks but every once in awhile, a big guy will show up and that makes it all worthwhile. You'll be amazed by the deer that are in your area that you never even lay eyes on from the stand.

Couple of tips. Clear away more of the brush and angle the camera so it is pointing up or down the trail, I usually set mine at like a 45 degree angle to the trail. Try and get the shots from about 10 feet away, you are pretty close. That buck in the bottom pick looks to be pretty nice.

The location seems fine, it just needs to be trimmed out. Anything that will obstruct a clear image or cause movement and a false trigger should be cleared out. Keep an eye on the direction it's facing as well as sunrise and sunsets can mess up your captures.