• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best size fishing boat

Just curious what you think the best size is in a fishing boat for most MN waters.

If you live in the cities and fish a variety of species, I think a 17 footer with a single console and a 90hp-115hp is about ideal. Not to small for occasional fishing at a few larger lakes up north, yet still small enough to use around town for bass, etc.

Thoughts?

I went from 17.5 to 19 footer. We fish alot in the late fall and a double counsel with walk through wind shield is a lot warmer if you run any distance. The new 17 footers are now wider than they used to be so they are probably the most popular size. The extra room in a bigger boat sure is nice but it sure shoots the price up a lot.

with all the boat companies making their boats wider, you can get by with less length, just remember that in a shorter boat a full windshield takes up alot of room, so that said, i'd go no less than 18 foot with a dual console walk through, but the 17', and 16'ers with a single console seem huge, I think I agree, 17'er single console is probobly the most verstle boat I can think of.

I don’t think you can base it on length alone. Length, width, depth, floorplan, and the number of persons you plan to regularly have on board are all part of the equation. I had a Lund Rebel 16 with a 40hp tiller for 12 years and for one or two guys I could be comfortable on most any body of water. I’d used that boat on 3 and 4 foot whitecaps on lakes ranging in size from just a few acres like my local Guerney to the LOTW and the Lac Seul Reservoir in Ontario.

I will say that I like my current Sylvan Adventurer 1600 with the 90hp and single console a little better. With an 84” beam it’s about a wide as you dare go with only 16 feet of length and it’s a little deeper, which is nice if I have small children on board. This one too has been on very rough water on lakes like Mill Lacs, the Lac Seul, and Winnie yet it is small enough that I can put it into any lake I can get the trailer into.

I have a 17ft. lund walk through winshield, 90 horse with a snap in canvas when the walk through is closed and it's great when it's cold, windy or rainy and handles good in rough water. That 25.00 dollars was money well spent for the snap in canvas and the wife loves it also................

I'm looking at a Lund Angler SS with a single console and a 75 hp outboard. It is 16' 3" long and the beam width is 82". Will this boat handle the bigger waters up north OK?

I'm looking at a Lund Angler SS with a single console and a 75 hp outboard. It is 16' 3" long and the beam width is 82". Will this boat handle the bigger waters up north OK?

When the water is too rough for a boat that size you more then likely want to get off the lake. Mine is a 16' 6" with a 60hp tiller and I take it out on Lake Superior, Winne, Mille Lacs, Leech with no problems except when you get caught by surprise winds that are not in the forecast. When that happens you just have to take it easy and work your way off the lake. It is not only big water that can create big waves but long narrow lake with the wind howling down them can create some very nasty waves.

Can't go wrong with that. That is exactly what I got, Side Console 17 foot, with 115hp. But then again, anything that floats will get you on the water.

To add, mine is a newer 17 foot Lund, with beam of 93", which is plenty wide. Lots of space to fish 4 comfortably. And with roller trailer, easy to load/unload by myself too.

I have a 17' single with a 115 and love it. Mines glass but I also fish out of a 17' Alum with a 60 and it's nice to. Both are bunks and I prefer them over my old rollers for ease of launching and loading both alone or with a partner....

I have a older 17' Crestliner, nice v hull, beamy w/ high gunnels, and a 60hp tiller. I love the fishing room I have w/ this boat. Handles great, super stable in the big, rough waters some of the lakes get. The only downside would be the amount of water I draw off step makes it a little more difficult in the shallows. I don't mind the elements and gear up accordingly so having a console isn't much of an issue for me. but that said, It is nice to have the option to hunker down behind a windshield at times.

I agree w/ Jimalm, narrow lakes create some nasty chaotic waves w/ the wind howling and the waves start reflecting off shore and each other.