• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Twitter

Born2Fish

I am not sure how many of you actually follow this HSOforum, or how many even care. But since I signed up(Which would be yesterday), it's amazing how fast you find things out before they really become news. I heard that Falcons LB Robert James was suspended 4 games(violating NFL substance abuse policy) from Adam Schefter on Twitter before it was even published on the net! Plus being able to just see what some famous people are up to is kinda neat. I would recommend taking a look at it.

I hear you on the speed of stories getting out there, but just because it's the fastest doesn't mean it's true. It's still people stating opinions and rumors, whether or not it has been fact-checked.

Just like a person shouldn't be able to always trust wikipedia as always being fact, even though it usually is, and I use it all the time. For example: I can go into the article on Bret Favre and make a statement that he has signed onto the Vikings for the 2010-11 season, and it will stay that way until someone notices it. It doesn't make it fact, though.

I've been a Twitter user for over a year now and it does give you a glimpse at news before it hits the main stream media....a "news as it breaks" type of deal.

Twitter is more than than the everyday person giving their opinion or spreading rumors, it's a full-on news and information outlet as well....at least it can be if you "follow" the right people/organizations.

I like it because the various news organizations will tweet headlines and links to news on their HSOforum, so instead of visiting all the different news websites I like to read and sifting through all the articles, it's right in one location on my Twitter feed and I can then pick and choose which items I want to read up on further....either using the browser on my smartphone or PC.

If you use Twitter right you can definitely keep up on what's going on out there. Twitter's tagline used to be "what are you doing", which gave the impression that it was just people tweeting their current activity in 140 characters or less. Now it's changed to "what's happening" which more accurately reflects it's use as a news/information source.

Very true. But it did turn out that it was fact that the LB from the Falcons did indeed get suspended. Not that everything will turn out to be fact. I guess it is just a fun way to waste some time and hear what some celebrities have to say about certain subjects.

And yes, I also like the ability to be able to follow certain news organizations and be able to get breaking news fast. It does work out pretty neat. But like Lmit said, you have to follow the right ones. Many of the right ones are verified(the real original ones), so it does make it easy to follow the ones that are giving out the right information.

For example: I can go into the article on Bret Favre and make a statement that he has signed onto the Vikings for the 2010-11 season, and it will stay that way until someone notices it. It doesn't make it fact, though.

Brett Favre signed with the Vikings??????? OMG, I gotta put that on Twitter. grin

Very true. But it did turn out that it was fact that the LB from the Falcons did indeed get suspended. Not that everything will turn out to be fact. I guess it is just a fun way to waste some time and hear what some celebrities have to say about certain subjects.

I like the news and sports stuff, but prefer to NOT hear what the dumb @ss celebrities have to say about anything. The only good thing about them commenting on things is you can see how stupid and out of touch with reality they really are.

I've been on Twitter now for about a month or so. In the past I stayed away because I thought it was just about telling all your friends what you ate for dinner or following celebs. I totally agree about the breaking news and keeping on top of things angle. I'm totally hooked now. Didn't know HSO was on Twitter. Gonna sign up now.

I heard 2 months ago via twitter that LeBron James was going to Miami. Last night was no suprise to me. (Confirmed on Wikipedia, cross-referenced on FaceBook.) I swear! Google it if you don't believe me!

Morse code, thank you very much.

-.. --- .-- -. / .-- .. - .... / - .-- .. - - . .-. / ..- .--. / .-- .. - .... / ... -.- -.-- .--. .

Listen, I get it. Computers have sone some spectacular things for us in the last half a century. I do think that the more varied and accessable types of communication are only driving us apart from face to face interaction.

(Yes, I fully see the irony of typing this on an internet forum, but please feel free to point it out to me anyway!)