• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used Boat Market?

Basseyes

Have been watching the used boat market the last couple months. Seems there's a lack of good 17-20' well equipped used Lund and Rangers out there. When I last bought in 2007 the market was flooded with a lot of good used rigs at a discount price. Was thinking about selling after I saw what my rig was worth but am concerned about replacing it with a good rig at a good price right now.

Any body have any insight into the used boat market?

I know the used car market was and is being affected by a lot of different factors like fewer vehicles being manufactured, recalls on rental Toyota's, cash for clunkers etc. Talked to a lot of car dealers in April who could sell used cars but for every car they sold they couldn't replace it. The truck market was flip flopped from a year before that. We had one dealer tell us he'd give us what we bought our Impala for a year ago sight unseen, what? Trucks, diesels and 6.0L GM's where so hard to find I gave up after 3 months of looking. One dealer told me he had a list of guys looking for diesels and he could put me on that list but he wasn't getting past the first 3 names any time he got a diesel in. With diesel prices? You got to be kidding me I thought. One guy told me if he'd known how bad the market flipped he would have bought all the trucks he could have a year ago and been able to retire. Another owner of a dealership told me when he goes to an auction when a diesel comes up there's half a dozen other buyers as well as himself who just hold their hands up till it sells. Again, what?

Are higher prices on good quality used items a reality with fewer and fewer things being manufactured even in a slumping economy?

I think it's going to be another year before you see much rebound in the used boat market... some dealers are really doing well this year, but from my observation they've been the lower priced, not high end dealers - starcraft, smoker craft, etc... not so much the Lunds, Crestliners and Rangers of the bunch.

Don't get me wrong, the higher end brands have had a good year so far this year as well, but from a used boat standpoint I think a lot of people are sitting on what they have and waiting and seeing what's going to happen the rest of this year before pulling the trigger on a new boat. Credit was cheap and easy to get in 2007.. hence the large number of quality used boats.

marine_man

If you had a pules in 07 you could get credit for just about anything. I am sure there is less turnover/transactions happening, thus less used boats on the market.

Looks like it might be time to unload my diesel truck and Ranger boat!

I think I'm going to keep the truck for a while, but the boat is about ready to be put up for sale. I guess I haven't seen much difference in the used boat market although I don't follow it that closely to see any change in what is being sold or not compared to past years. I have noticed, however, that a tiller like mine only pops up once in a while for sale but that model seems to be a lot more "rare" than 620 or 621 which you'll see a lot more often.

There is not alot of choices for either of those 2 products right now. Used truck prices went thriugh the roof. People are holding on to theier stuff a little longer and getting them fixed instead of buying new. Some buds of mine that are in the auto repair business are making hay and then some. Fixing your rig is cheaper than a new payment. 17-20 foot boats that are new right now are overpriced. Check out the jump in price from 16-17 foot and then the 17-20 double's in price.

There is still a bubble of boats that were bought with home equity loans. Some of those are going to hit the market as the economy is not recovering as fast as most of us would like to see it. Fall is always the time where boats hits the market because the owners don't want to store them for the winter. There are bargains to be had you just need to stay diligent in watchin the net and the papers. Even dealers wont want to sit on trade-in inventory they accumulated with new boat purchases.

As soon as the economy gets better or much better, people will trade off their boats for new ones.

That may be a few seasons yet.

I have noticed a few good deals on nice used boats but they were a bit older than 2-4 years old.

a little patience in looking will always find a good deal

there should be a few guys going belly up specially if they dont extend

the unemployment

but patients is the key take your time and dont settle for half of what you really want

not sure how much you are looking to spend

but keep non current deals in mind to

specially if you can wait till fall

if your going to spend 15-20k be sure to get excatly what you want

so your happy and not secound guessing yourself

i bought non current and i think i could sell mine for close to what i paid for it 3 yrs ago

if you own a boat now you should have a good idea what you want and dont want

MARINE MAN

jealously cuts deep I guess !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you dont see me on here whining bout porposing or lookin for different props..etc..etc

i spose the class of the field hasnt made it out to the baron flat lands yet