• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I-phone 4.0 Update for 3g & 3gs

Physically uploading mine to my phone as we speak. I know there over a 100 new features involved (at least what the OS upgrade said), but has anyone upgraded yet and what are you thoughts or likings?

Sounds like some cool features & some must needed features are finally grouped in this upgrade.

When I upgraded my 3G (not "S"), I was very unhappy with the performance afterwards. I don't think the processor is powerful enough to handle some of the upgrades. I have since upgraded to the iPhone4, and LOVE the new features. I would say go ahead if you have the "S" version, but skip it if you have the plain 3G.

You are right on swim. This upgrade is horrible with the 3G. Internet viewing & posting is almost impossible. They say two hard resets (holding down the wake & home button at the same time for 15-20 seconds until you see the Apple symbol and just setting phone down for awhile till it comes back) helps huge. I did one so far it helps the app lag but nothing with the Internet. I will do another today before I switch back to the old os. No one get this with the 3G until they come out with a fix. wink

Plus it is the longest upgrade I have ever done.

I have a 3GS and cant stand OS 4.0. I used to be able to push the ‘big button’ and the program would shut down. Now it just puts that program (and every other program that I’ve used that day) into ‘multitask’ and drains my battery in a couple of hours.

The only way I’ve found to kill the program is by :

Pressing the big button twice, finding the program in the multi menu, holding down the icon until it opens up the ‘kill’ features, and then pressing the ‘kill’ button to shut the program off. What used to take a split-second now takes 20 seconds and a bunch of button pushes to shut it off.

In addition, my USA SPEC Iphone adapter for my truck no longer works with the new OS system, but I cant 'go back' to OS3 because Apple wont allow it. Very disapointed.

Yes I did check. Version 4.0 is still my OS. Even on a system restore. smirk

Only good thing is after the restore my 3G Iphone does seem to run pretty good. Just get ride of any apps, games, videos, music, files or junk you do not use.

If you have a 3g, an AT&T rep referred to as a "dinosaur", but to contradict what Pierbridge posted, said not one of his Iphone 4g customer have complained about anything. grin

There is little hope for a normal running 3G Iphone at this point. I am sure they will not be including the 3G in any future updates.

Well, our AT&T rep that handles our business account has offered to allow us our upgrade earlier & wave fee's & shipping of the phone in-lue of our 3G issues. Might have a 4G in the next week depending on when they ship. I will be watching/listening to Apple's news conference tomorrow morning about the reported antenna issues on the 4G.

Also this is happening:

Quote:

141720-ios_4_0_1.jpg

As predicted earlier today, Apple has released iOS 4.0.1 (8A306) for the iPhone 4, 3GS, and 3G. Details of the update are as yet unknown, although it is presumed to address the signal strength indicators as promised by Apple earlier this month.

Early reports on the signal strength indicator changes included in the iOS 4.1 beta released to developers yesterday suggest that the changes do not affect actual signal strength, but only adjust the visual "bar" indicators on the screen. Apple is holding a press conference tomorrow regarding the iPhone 4, and it is presumed that the company will be discussing the antenna issue at that event.

All they do is change what signal levels are required for which bars. Before you really had either 5 bars, 4 bars, or no bars as 3,2, and 1 bars were all so close together in signal strength.

The only way to improve signal strength is to actually redesign the antenna. Interestingly enough you can get an extra bar of signal on the iPhone by simply wrapping the antenna in Kapton (Polyimide) tape. It'll also give the phone a gold side band as opposed to a silver side band.

Pier this has been such a let down, I am just sick of it and if anything it has gotten me "less" involved with my phone more. The new 4G sounds like a winner if you get an updated "fix from factory" phone. I am just going to do the update tonight and see if I even have a phone in the morning. grin

I got the iphone 4 and have 0 recpetion issues. Infact it gets more consistant recpetion than my iphone 3g. All I can say is this is the best phone Ive ever used. I cant believe how good the display looks, no other phone is even close. Also the HD video camera just flat out rocks.

I am running currently back on 3G IOS version 3.1.3 as of Saturday. No jailbreak, and pretty not hack of sorts, although you use a third party program (free) in conjunction with Itunes. You use a previously stored back up in Itunes the was done in 3.1.3 or other versions. wink If you do not have a previous back up in the main Itunes file, you can down load the firmware for free of version 3.1.3. I would say it took about 2 hours and my phone does run better (thank god)....

The only down side is almost pretty much any new app or update for a current app will only work if you have 4.0. It will not even let you down load some apps I guess. Not a big deal for me. I rather just have the phone work like designed for now. I guess there is a 3 week or so back log on the 4G.

Google "get ride of 4.0" or just this "3g ios 3.1.3" and it will be right on top. wink

I believe with the 3GS you can not do this, but the 3G you can and it works great. smile