• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clean in soap/water first. Then remove mineral deposits with muriatic acid cut about 3 to 1 water to acid (let soak as needed). Next soak in mineral oil for an hour or so. Wipe with clean towel.

Polishing the smaller agates is a lot of fun.

Most of the local hardware stores carry it. The big-box stores have stopped because of liablity issues. It's nasty stuff. Glasses and gloves are a good idea. Soap and water work fine most of the time. I usually only have to soak the agates I find lakes and rivers

Yes, Be very careful with it. Most agates don't need it but sometimes the cement like deposits on the surface is "baked" on. I suppose some milder acids would work too...maybe some drain cleaner or lime away.

My son and I were grouse hunting inland near the North Shore of Superior. The grouse were particularly uncooperative this day. When we came to a creek filled with gravel you know what we had to do? Yep shimmy down to it and start looking. The first thing I saw was a fresh wolf track in the mud. Needless to say I held onto my shotgun in one hand while pickin agates with my other. My son had to lay his down because this was our best area we have ever picked, bar none. Here we are wading up river trying not to slip and get wet looking for grouse, wolves, and agates. What a great way to end the day. Nothing huge but we did find a couple bigger than walnuts and the potential for bigger ones was definitely there if we were prepared with our tall rubber boots and picking scoops.

Hey Captain heres a newer book for you to check out:

Agates: Inside Out

by Karen A. Brzys

Also there is a good rock shop in Prescott WI, Two Harbors, and Beaver Bay on the north shore. And most of the gravel roads in the metro have agates strewn about them.

Good Luck,

Ferny.