• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My wife, sister, and her fiance want to go agate hunting sometime soon, maybe even this weekend.

We always used to go agate hunting as kids around new construction areas in the cities after the rain washed some of the newly exposed substrate... great times.

We want try somewhere near Duluth, but we have no idea where to start. Are there any places to hunt agates around Duluth that are worthwhile? I've poked around the web and haven't found anything helpful.

If you don't want to share information on the public forums here but are willing to help a guy out, please email me at [email protected].

Thanks smile

Yeah, dont waste your time. Look on any dirt road with rocks on it. No real big ones, but plenty to keep you busy for a while. I used to venture north of Duluth towards island lake, lots of roads up that way.

I was at lake Superior over the 4th. On the beaches we found many agates. The biggest were the size of quarters. Fun to be there on the lake as we looked. If you are looking for big ones, this is likely not the place unless you go into the water or spend a lot of time.

I would try to find gravel pits and stream/river banks with gravel/till exposure, the DNR may have a Till exposure or gravel pit map or something of that type. I believe what you would be looking for is the Superior Lobe Till. It is a coarse-textured till of basalts, gabbro, granite, iron formation, red sandstone, slate, and greenstone (taken from the DNR HSOforum). It would be reddish in color. If you are at a gravel pit there maybe other till of grey and yellow color but look for the reddish stuff, that indicates it came from the superior basin which is rich in iron (red from oxidation) and would more than likely house superior agates.

Hey Burch, most of the gravel roads in the metro have agates. The things you did as a kid still work. Any time they do any digging it opens up new rocks. How'd you do up north? I do pretty good in the metro but you need to hit the farmers fields after harvest to find the pounders.

Ferny.

I was up on the Northshore in August and picked up a handful of rocks that I think have one or two agates in em'. Is there anyone in the metro that I could bring my rocks to and they could tell me what I've got? Could anyone give me some tips other than what I've read on-line on how to identify an agate?

I'll be up on the Northshore again in several weeks and would like to do a little more searching.

Thanks!

Dark-

Found it half-buried on a hiking trail. Had the rain not washed it off, I never would've noticed it. I've learned to always keep an eye on the ground.

Captain-

I've always found it easier to find agates immediately after a rain. The agates tend to pop out when they're wet. Banding is the most obvious characteristic, but not all agates are banded. Look for a waxy appearance and concoidal fractures(like a chip in glass). I also try not to look at each individual rock. Glance over a general area and try to pick out rocks that just look a little different.

There's a good book called "The Other Lake Superior Agate" written by John Marshall that gives a lot of insight into the not-so-obvious agates.

According to the author John Marshall, "The Other Lake Superior Agate" is out of print. There may be a few copies available at some of the small rock shops or their web sites. You can download a free pdf copy of this book from a link on the Facebook page "Lake Superior Agate Collectors". Good book. Lots of pictures and even a geology lesson.