• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Bear Stand setup

I saw someone reference the perfect setup for good clean kills over a bait staion. Can someone give the quick tips on shot angle/stand height with distance to get good clean shots that miss the shoulder blade?

I am no expert and it has been many years since I did my hunt and could use a refresher. There are many good experienced hunters and guides that frequent this sight and I would love to hear their perfect setup grin

When I gve it a shot a few years back my setup was a 15 foot ladder stand to the height of the seat- shooting from the sitting position. My bait was slightly uphill 4 feet higher ground than where my stand sat and about 10-12 yards from the bait. I had a bow hook hanging overhead that had three sections and with a slight move I could reach up and grab the bow in one smooth motion. I had several Balsam trees behind me and breaking up my outline.

How about if rifle hunting?

I love reading the bear hunting posts. I like Jonny P's comment about orange paint for the clients instead of bear spray wink

My opinion would be to duplicated what you would for deer,but the more experienced bear bow hunters could give you a better senario than I. I taken only one bear with a bow. With a rifle or ML I like to be back about 35-40 yards an 15' up. At that distance from the site you can get away with little more of the uncomfortable sitting cramps adjustments an your scent is father away which is a plus. My bow bear was taken at 15 steps from the base of my tree, I was 15 feet up an he came in at a perfect broad side angle, stuck his nose in the bacon pot an sshup! dead bear. Good luck boar.

i try to put my stand 20 yards out from my bait and 20 ft up to the platform of my stand,i do this for bear and deer and it has always worked out great for me.no bait for the deer though,haha just 20 yards out from the trails i watch.

I wouldn't get any higher up than 1 ft of height for 1 yard of shot distance. If you get any steeper than that you're at risk for a one lunger, and let me tell you it's no fun trying to track a one lunged bear. I prefer about 15 yard shot with my stand set so I'm about 15 feet at eye level on the stand. I've been lower and had the bear mess with me in the stand and it took about 3 hours for my heart to stop beating in my ears.

We have been setting up like this for the past 12 years or so with great success...stand 12 feet up....12 to 15 yards from the bait...shot placement, half way between the top of the back and bottom of the chest and as tight to the shoulder...NOT on the shoulder! Preferably the bear should be quartering away slightly so you have a good angle at getting the heart, but it he's perfect broadside that will work well too... Whatever distance-height you are comfortable with...practice, practice, practice! Preferably use a 3-d Bear target and, as you take your practice shots, notice your shot angle and try to picture the exit and how many vitals you have a chance of cutting...as charlie said too steep of an angle and you risk a one lunger...that's not good!

I wouldn't get any higher up than 1 ft of height for 1 yard of shot distance. If you get any steeper than that you're at risk for a one lunger, and let me tell you it's no fun trying to track a one lunged bear. I prefer about 15 yard shot with my stand set so I'm about 15 feet at eye level on the stand. I've been lower and had the bear mess with me in the stand and it took about 3 hours for my heart to stop beating in my ears.

Great advise Charlie, also like others have stated try to wait for a quartering away shot it is the best angle to ensure a double lung hit and fast recovery.

Pratice like you'll hunt. If you hunt deer with a bow often and are familair with that set-up, don't change a thing. If this is something new, set-up a stand (the one you will use) a target (the same distance as your bait site)and practice shots at it and become familiar with it. That way your height, distance, and shooting platform are all the same and it should be like clockwork!