• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"What's it worth?"

Hory

I have been looking around for a small used outboard. I came across what seems to be the perfect fit. The motor is a 1998 15hp 2 stroke short shaft outboard. What would you be willing to pay for this motor or somthing extremely similar? Thanks for all the help!

from a valuation guide that I have access to the resale approximate value of say a 1998 15hp Mariner manual start is in the 5-600 range.....so that gives you an idea of a good starting point

Hamms- I would like to upgrade if the right deal fell into my lap. I figure the best time to look and get a decent deal is when you aren't pressured and don't really HAVE to buy. The evinrude that is on there is a mid-70's short shaft.(The evinrude light blue with the white cover) I really don't have any complaints about it...My biggest issue is you can't start it sitting down. It hadn't been run in over 3 weeks because of summer college classes and it started on the first pull yesterday. Thankfully it seems to be reliable because I cut my timing pretty close with getting off the river before the storm yesterday!

The 98 15 horse mercury I looked at was in above average shape I would say...idled well, pretty clean prop. I didn't talk price at all...but I know he told another person $825. Is that reasonable?

The 98 15 horse mercury I looked at was in above average shape I would say...idled well, pretty clean prop. I didn't talk price at all...but I know he told another person $825. Is that reasonable?

That was about what I thought for price, although I'd probably try to get him closer to $750.

that is something I forgot to add as I posted before I was leaving the shop last night is that from what I have researched looking at for sale sights is that a 15-25 hp late 90's motors are ranging from 700-1200.....I have a 1998 15hp that I was guessing I could get 7-800 for but I have not been finding the right price on a 25hp.....if anyone would like to trade a late 90's 25hp long shaft for a late 90's 15hp and 1-200 bucks let me know!!!!! Good Luck on finding the right motor

I would say they are pretty close on price.You could always try to get them to come down Hory. That motor would be a nice addition to that boat,although like you said yours is just fine too.... ball is in your court to buy cause you can offer less and if he doesn't bite owell. Or if you want it bad enough spring for it...

Would I gain some output/speed with an upgrade to a 98 mercury 15hp shortshaft? I run the 15hp mid-late 70's evinrude on my 14' boat. Just checking if newer = more efficient and faster. I realize the weight to power/output ratio is most important in figuring out the speed.

Hamms- I don't think I want to go the route of the 4 stroke. I like the idea of the extra speed of the 2 stroke. The boat is also older and completely redone, and I imagine that the hp ratings are based on 2 stroke weights for the transom. (the boat is rated to a 20hp)

Sometime in there, in the 80s they went from rating at powerhead to rating at prop. So the 98 15 hp will have a little more power than a 70's 15, but probably not enough to make much difference.