• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A good bow in the range of $500 to $800

MidCoast

I am planning on buying a Bow this year for Archery Hunting for deer. What is a good bow in the range of $500 to $800. Any recommendations?

I have not done much research on bows yet so far.

Depends if your talkin bow only for that or the whole shooting match...

Big difference. Alot of good bows in that range, go to a shop and shoot a bunch and form your own opinion, as others will have theirs based on what they shoot and what works for one doesn't work for another, So it's hard to tell you what your gonna like.

My opinion for what it's worth!

I bought my first bow this spring. After shooting a bunch of different bows, I choose the Mission Maniac. So far I love it, but my expierence with other brands of bows if very limited. After having it all set up and buying arrows I was about $600 into it.

Stratos is right. You can easily spend a couple hundred dollars on Accessories. Best advice? Go into a few different pro shops (stay away from the big box stores) and tell them your budget. They'll have several for you to shoot in that range. Write down the ones that felt good TO YOU, then go back and shoot the ones you liked best again. Then make your decision.

I'm sure there's at least a couple archery shops in the Mankato area.

Whatever you decide, I'd suggest you get crackin'! The season's right around the corner and you've got a lot to get done between now and then to get your gear and yourself ready for the archery season.

i would take an after noon and go to your local bow shop, you can find 40 bows in that price range depending of if you want it set up or not. Shoot a bunch of different ones and find the one that fits you best

Don't be afraid to take a look at the Quest line of bows by G5, relatively new on the market but a great product with lots of little engineering details that are nice. Have shot all the 2010 Quest line and they're great. Also try the pro series PSE line. The Vendetta is a great bow at a decent price. Just the two series that I'm a fan of in that price range this year. Also a fan of the diamond line of bows

Another thought would be to look for a 2 or 3 year old used bow. My Matthews Switchback is 3 years old and by the time I loaded it up, bought arrows and a case I had $1500 into it. I would be suprised if I could sell the whole package for $800.

Just a thought. Love my Matthews.

Hoyt or Hoyt in my opinion. Ha! thats just my preference, I have the Alphamax now and love it. But if your gona spend $800 you have a ton of choices. Don't get caught up the the brands, most companies make great shooting bows when you get up in that price range- Just test em out like others have said..

MidCoast - You have so many options it is impossible in my opinion to direct you without a little bit of information.

1. Is this your first bow?

2. Have you bowhunted in the past?

3. Do you know if bowhunting is something you are going to be serious about?

4. What is your history/level of archer experience?

The reasons I ask these questions is simple. The amount of money you have indicated you'd like to spend is kind of in "no man's land". It is alot of money, it is a wide margin ($300), but at the same time, it isn't quite enough to set you up with top of the line gear that many avid archers would look for. With that said, it is certainly enough to set you up with a very capable and nice bow setup. Now, if this is going to be your first bow, and you are just starting out and aren't sure if it is something you will enjoy for the long run, I would recommend looking for a used bow that is fully set up. You can get a very nice, top brand, 2-3 year old used bow with everything you need to start hunting the minute it is in your hands for about $300.

If you were to buy a new bow and new accessories, and then found out you don't use it as much as you had thought, or if you buy a bow and find out you love it, and want a higher end bow, your resale on the new bow is instantly going to be cut in half (or more) of what you paid for it new.

For the dollar amount you want to stick into a bow, i have to say in my opinion that Mathews line of Mission bows are incredable. Especially the Mission Eliminator 2, It reatails and or around 450 but is incredably smooth, quiet, and drives tacks! ITs a great alround bow. I will also agree with others on here that a used Mathews or Hoyt can easily be found in that range, and there is lots of guys who buy new every year so they have set ups to sell in AMAZING condition. All in all, what ever feels best for you and fits your budget should be a great bow.