• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog throws up after swimming

local40oz

My 2 yr old choc lab spent most of Memorial weekend in the lake retrieving a bumper. Eventually he threw up on the dock and continued vomiting later after he had been out of the water for a while. It was mostly water and some black gunk. But my wife it freaked out because she saw some blood in one of the piles. He kept his dinner down, but took much longer than usual to eat it.

Has anybody else run into this problem? I realize the obvious answer is to shorten the amount of time he's in the water...but that is tough because 1) he really enjoys it, 2) a tired 2 year old dog is a well-behaved dog, and 3) he regularly out retrieves my in-laws' dogs!

Thanks. I will keep an eye on the piglet around the grill. The puke fest has happened once before when we were up there and he spent the day in the lake. It is almost like he taking in a lot of lake water while he is swimming based on the big pees he takes when he's on shore. Dang dogs...

That's kind of what I thought. I think you will see this most, if not all the time he has lots of swimming. It's like the throat never closes when they swim. I'm not sure there is a medical name for it but I have seen this twice in my field trial training days.

Dog comes out of the water and looks like he has a balloon in his belly. Moments later it all comes out from both ends, mostly from the mouth.

my lab did the same thing only not while in the water just hanging out on the cabin porch. the gas grill had leaked grease onto the deck and he ate or licked it. he was sick for days, both ends, just had to keep him hydrated and made him some boiled chicken as dry food would make him sick alone.