• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PICKING UP NEW PUP

dewey1

WELL, I AM PICKING UP MY NEW FRENCH BRITT NEXT WEEKEND. ITS A 4 HOUR RIDE IN THE CAR. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THE RETURN TRIP? SHOULD I CRATE HIM? LET HIM ROAM IN THE BACK OF VAN? JUST GIVE HIM HIS OWN PLACE AND LEAVE HIM ALONE?

How old? How big? Can a friend drive so you can hold him in your lap for the ride? Major important bonding hours!! Lots of pee breaks but keep puppy on leash right away and, for now, follow his lead. Two things: you have to be smarter than the dog and you are here to take care of him. By that I mean YOU keep him from harm when he doesn't know better and a bonehead owner usually results in a bonehead dog....regardless how smart the dog might be.

Have fun. It's a joy!!

When I brought my French Brit home it was about a 6 hr drive. I was able to have someone go with me and was able to let the pup be on my lap or on the front seat as he felt he wanted to. We only had to make 2 breaks the entire route. He slept majority of the way. The worst part was the whining when we first left. That lasted about 15 min.

Okay Dewey.....8-weeks. At that age I stick with my suggesion; hold him in your lap. Let him sleep. Let him lick your face. If you slap him in a crate for six hours, at that age, his first memory of contact with you is going to be of a cold, scary, shaky box.

True story, year ago. Ancient master dog trainer talking to another guy. "Watch the way this guys (me) dogs work. They love him. They'll do ANYTHING for him. They keep their eyes on him whenever they can.Thats the kind of dog you want."

Crate guys have their theory I guess and a crate may be fine later. But not at 8-weeks when he first gets to know you. And if he whines, so what. When you were 8-weeks you whined too!!

Enjoy!! One of lifes great experiences.

we let both of our pups ride up front, they need to bond and know they are safe. if you have other dogs or cat, a suggestion that was given to us was to rub the current animal down with a towel then let the pup play lay or chew on it to get use to the scent. we actually introduced our new pup to the older one at a neutral place without us being in the middle, he was able to play with lobo and get use to him before we took them both home.

Bring ear plugs, just kidding. I had a lot of crying from my 7 week old GWP. What the breeder did for the new owners is bought some pink and blue cheap towels from target. He let the mother sleep on them for a week so it got her scent on them and then sent each new owner home with a towel based on their dogs gender. I think it helped. My GWP is now 16 weeks and an awesome pup.

I've made 3 trips to the Eastern states to get pups. One by car and two by plane. My suggestion is to play with the pup till exhausted at the breeders and then start your journey.

The trip by car did not work so well. It was horrible weather and we needed to get back on the road as soon as possible as we were already behind schedule... The dog was going to sit on our lap all the way home from Clevland... 1 hour into trip the pup puked all over. Lots of whining, but all in all good bonding time. Breaks were taken whenever possible. Hav a towl or two on your lap in case of accidents.

The two by plane were thoroughly played with prior to going in airport. They have to remain in crate once you arethrough security... (found that out the hard way) and remain in crate on plane. I throug in a t-shirt in the crate that I slpet in the night before. Both slept the entire flight and time it took to deboard and leave the terminal... about4 hours total. Smooth sailing.

Good Luck!

kEN

it probably wont be too active on the ride home. more or less just lay down and sleep. but definetly make potty breaks!! just remember, whoevers lap that pup lays on on the ride home is likely to take the new place of its mother. seems like it to me anyways!! i picked up our golden retriever pup by myself last winter, and even though the fiance' sees her more than i do, that pup instantly became a daddys girl!! which irritates her, because jaedyn always comes running to me first, and shows me the most affection.

its hard to beat that feeling of anticipation while driving to get a new pup!! good luck