• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alumacraft Navigator 165

fishinalot

Does any one have a later model Alumacraft Navigator 165 with a 60 Yamaha 4-stroke tiller? I do currently have a Classic 165 with a 50 Yamaha 4-stroke that has worked out great for me.

I'm thinking of upgrading next year to the navigator because it is 10" wider, but with a 60 yamaha on it... would it perform out of the hole? and match the 30 mph that my classic does? It is rated for a 75 hp, but I would like to stay down to a 60 hp because of the weight and the trolling speed.

I have a Dominator 175 with a 115 Yamaha on the back. Great boat for the money.. I have been in some good size waves and not had a issue, stayed safe and mostly dry. If you are looking for a boat for the hall I would take a look at the 175's in the dom or the nav.

look at a 60 e-tec then you will have power and the ability to troll

and plenty of power with people in it or not

its lighter you might be albe to go up to the 75 if you like

i had a 60 e tec on a 17 ft glass boat and it was a heavy boat

the boat alone was 1800lbs

that 60 pushed me about the same alone or with a couple of people in it

you might want to read the other thread on of mike e

and what he had to go threw to make his 4 stroke work for him

buy an e-tec and go fishing dont touch it for 3 yrs

thats whats fishing is all bout

not changing props for a couple weeks

to be happy with at least a 7 k purchase

Greg it doesnt matter what type motor you get if its not propped right for the boat you have you will have issues. E-tech or not! Thats a dealer/shop issue not a motor issue.

I have a 115 4 stroke as well and have not had any issues like his. Thats not typical and I think you know that. I understand you like your e-tech and all but lets not mislead people into thinking the 4 strokes arent good motors.

I have a 2005 165 navigator w/60 yamaha tiller.They are right the boat does go 29-30mph by yourself. But once you put 2 other people in the with full livewell it takes alittle to get up on plane and the top speed is between 26-26.5mph. When I purchased my boat 60hp was max. It took 3yr years for

Alumacraft to figure out they needed more power. I would suggest to buy max hp available. GREAT BOAT just under powered. Looking to upgrade next year to 75hp not sure what kind of motor.

Northlander

I've never had a 4 storke

so i dont know how good they are

i know they are quite and from what i hear good on gas i guess

i've owned 3 boats

one tin..and 2 glass

had all 3 for extended time the last one for close to 20yrs

it was the only thing i ever bought in my life that was 10 times better than the salesman said and there were many many walleyes put in it

I guess I've been lucky or I dont know any better but I've never ever

thought bout changin props and all this [PoorWordUsage]

My boats have done what I thought they were going to do

I'm not slaming 4 strokes...I'm just talking from experience!!!!!!!!!!

I go with what my gut tells me

Whem I bought this boat I had money down on a 1895 skeeter w/ a 150 yamie

put money down on it

slept on it

just didnt feel right

called a Yar Craft guy haggled out a deal (a good one)

and now i sleep and fish well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 60 hp 4 stroke merc on my Classic 165 CS....It's not a navigator but but my boat does 32 with 2 people and 30 with 3. tht's loaded up, full tank and 3 batteries, etc. I am pretty happy with it overall. It does not scream out of the hole but it does fine and is VERY good on gas.

My personal opinion for the Navigator would be to get at least a 75. The 60 on my boat is right on the edge and may not be enough for that boat. I would think however, it would have similar performance to your classic with the 50.

Good luck!

My Navigator 165CS has a 90hp Suzuki on it and it was doing in the mid 40s (according to the speedo) when I first bought it and had broken it in. Since then I've mounted the trolling motor and put all of my gear in there so it's a slower and seems to top out in the high 30s using GPS this time. Great boat.

My buddy has a 16.5ft Lund and a 60hp Etec. The boat is a little narrower than the Navigator. We were recently each hauling three guys across Vermilion and while I was able to go faster than him, it wasn't by much - probably a couple mphs. I believe that we both have the default props that came with each motor.