• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris ??

Tyler23

i had a 03 sportsman and for the 5 yrs i owned it it would rip CV boots constently.. the guys at the dealer said that was a common problem. did polaris ever fix that or make any changes to prevent this? if so what yr? im looking at getting a dif atv later this summer

Thanks!

the machines themselves wouldn't be tearing cv boots. How well they're protected and the areas you ride are the main culprits.

If the manufacturers put anything on their front ends to protect the cv boots, it's normally cheap plastic and little protection. If you ride in areas with a higher risk of branches or other debris, I would recommend an aftermarket set of skids.

on mine the shafts had such a angle on them they would rub and wear that way. not sticks or anything that never happened.. thats why i asked if they changed anything such as the angle or anything

your's is the first I've heard of wearing through the boots from normal riding.

Between the Honda, Suzuki and Polaris that I've had, this was never an issue. I used to ride in the river bottoms (City property and approval) by St. Peter and sticks or branches puncturing the boots was always a concern, but it never happened.

I've only had sticks poke my CV boots on my 99 Scrambler. Haven't had any issues on my 05 Sportsman. Is the suspension extended or is there a lift kit or something aftermarket making it stretch so much?

no it was all stock with the shocks as soft as they go and i couldnt ever get it down enough to make the boots not rub.. although the guy that bought it just told me today the bushings were tight on the A arms so maybe it was binding and not going down enough to straighten the shafts out? idk.. i like polaris 4wheeler and looks like i can pick up a low mile machine for a good price so i will prolly go with polaris again

I have a couple buddies that both have 05 700 sportsmans, and they had problems with the front a-arm gaurds geting pushed into the boots and ripping them. I accually saw it do it once. They both bought different gaurds and solved the problem.

1200 miles on a machine is very little for some. The main thing is how the original owner rode it and took care of it. My Rincon had about 1200 miles on it when I sold it and was in near perfect condition.

I have on just under 1700 miles on mine, the wifes is around 700 miles.

Been doing the routine maintenance on them and have had no issues.

I did burn up a belt on this last trip while mudding, but there was some prior damage to it due to operator failure......kind of one of the duh moments.

all stock. has some scuffs on the sides from trees and a chipped peice of plastic on the front for a tree i guess. says oil and coolent was changed last fall and a new battery was put in it also...

$3k might be a little high.

Here's my reasoning:

1) the machine is now 8 years old (2011 just around the corner)

2) 30% depreciation over 8 years isn't much (new carry over EFI machines can be found for $4500)

3) replacing plastic can be expensive

Some of the bigger dealers in the North Metro and Northwest Metro have had them advertised in the ODN. Personally, I would start calling around to different dealers and start playing the numbers game. Don't rule out the small town dealerships either. They may be willing to move some stagnant inventory.

Someone also posted lastweek of a dealership in the east metro who had some good bargains.