• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

plowing with a wheeler

USDA3

If I was looking to get into a wheeler for plowing snow any suggestions on the minimum engine size? I obviously get the old saying "the bigger the better" but I guess I am looking for the other end, what size would you cut off at for plowing 300? 400? 500? Could be bigger snowfalls that have stacked up for a few weeks, like a cabin in North central MN per say.

Thanks

A 300 will do the job, but if I were looking for a plowing machine, I would start no lower than a 400.

For snow falls that stack up for a few weeks before you get there, you may be best suited to take a blower along to be able to place the snow better than windrowing it on the edge of the driveway.

But that all depends on how much snow you get. wink

any size will do it, but like was stated, if it's been sitting for a few weeks at the cabin, it might be difficult for any machine to move it, depending on the size of the driveway. I plow with a 700, but I used to do the same driveway with my old 400 and it didn't have a problem. you'll run out of traction long before you ever run out of power when plowing with a wheeler. you'd be fine with a 400.

I have used a 350 big bear, 400 arctic cat and a 750 king quad and the arctic cat was the best. It has the most ground clearance and the most low end torque, also has the highest carrying capacity for loading up with sand and salt for traction.

I use a 500 sportsman w. a 60" plow and typically don't have problems. The size plow will also dictate the size machine. I don't think I'd use a 60" with a 3-400cc machine. It might work, but could be underpowered with deeper/wetter snow. If you're going to use a smaller machine, maybe use a 48" plow? I'd also recommend a battery maintainer or putting the charger on after every couple times plowing just to keep the battery from going dead (assuming you're using a winch). If the snow is light/fresh plowing is easy and works well. If the snow is really wet or old (as stated earlier) you're better off blowing as the plow will ride up on top of the snow. Unless you have a long driveway snow blowing is more efficient. Plowing's just more fun and gives you another reason to ride! (and whip cookies in the driveway!!)

I plowed with a 60" plow on my 400 and never had a problem. Like I said, you will always run out of traction before you ever run out of power. Even the heavy wet snow wasn't a problem.

Thanks for all the info guys! I agree, a wheeler would be more fun than a blower, or a shovel for that matter. Plus the drive is about 75 yards long winding through the woods. Rather hook up a plow if we had one than store a blower.