• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kennel flooring

kevfish1

looking to put some type of flooring in a 12x5 outdoor kennel. Looking for something cheaper than cement.. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe some type of pvc decking material???? Looking for ideas

my kennels are 6x12 treated boards..decking. space them apart about a quarter inch or so, so that pee can run through and nails don't get stuck in between. cross brace them with three 2x4s underneath every four feet so that it is up off the ground. (screw the 2x4s tall side up so that it stands 4 in. off ground. be sure to check all screws so they are flush) think total supplies cost around $100 at menards.

I have the traditional cement slab on the front part of the kennel, but I put Pea gravel on the back side. It is easy to clean up the #2 and the #1 soaks thru. It is actually soft to walk on and stays cool if in the shade.

Build the under structure out of 2x4 green treated and put plastic decking on top of it. Find some that doesnt have a lot of texture to it and it is easy to keep clean and much less expensive than the stuff sold as dog kennel material. Get it up high enough to get a rake under it a couple of times a year and your good to go. Much easier on their joints than any of the cement type things mentioned earlier and it dries out very fast. I've had mine for 14 years and it shows very little wear