• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I worry about Fox?

jparrucci

I have seen a few foxes recently at both the Cabin and a house I just moved into. I have a playful and curious 40lb brittany that will walk up to anyone or anything looking to play. I know a fox isn't as big in weight, but they look as big as him with their long tail and fur. Makes me thing the fox may think of him as a competitor.

I would think that too Jay, thanks for the input. The only thing that has me worried is that an adult fox looks about the same size as my dog does, even though my dog is actually much larger in weight because he doesn't have all that long hair. I think he might be able to hold his own against one (that is if he even knew he was in a fight before it was too late), but they are a wild animal, and there have been more than one a couple of times. They are cute things though, and not very affraid of people.

Jim

Foxes that hang around during the day time are not behaving normally expecialy if they are not afraid of you or the Brit. MY Brit was 28 lbs and chased a fox and even tried to fight a badger in ND. I would only be concerned that a nocturnal animal such as a fox or coon is wandering around during the day it should be killed and disposed of as it may be sick with rabies or some other disease.

Mwal

Fox will some times be out during the day in late spring early summer. Most of the time it is due to the fact they have pups around and the pups will wonder out of the den and the female will be out to collect them or watch the pups. If it were late summer or fall, it would raise some concern. I would not worry about an interaction, the fox doesn't know the Brit isn't a wild animal. They will get to an understanding.

I hadn't thought they may be pups. Yes pups of all species tend to be very curios and may explain the day time encounters they will learn very quickly. Adult foxes should not be in you yard during daylight hours

Mwal

Fox will often hunt and be active during the day where there is little human interference so seeing a fox out and about when its light out is not uncommon at all. They have a tendency to go nocturnal from human pressure of hunting and trapping, other wise they prefer to be crepuscular. That is hunting during the early evening hours and late morning when its still light out.

they prefer to be crepuscular. That is hunting during the early evening hours and late morning when its still light out.

I learned a new word today. The crappies in my lake tend to be crepuscular as well.

Your 40 lb britt is in little danger of any direct encounter with a healthy fox. Just seeing one in daylight is not uncommon, but any sign of aggressive behavior could indicate rabies. And if there is a den in the area that could be a source of mange, a common parasite in fox and very transmissible to dogs.

Fox, coyote, coon, skunk, etc, do wander in daylight. You can tell if one is sick just by how they act. Look for mange, loss of hair, stumbling. You can spook them and they will avoid that area. If they come toward you or pets then they are acting odd. Caution if you have kids that think wild animals are cute and want to go up to them, as this is the time they get bit.

Mrs. Fox raised three kids right behind our cabin and they are teenagers now. But much better mannered than the ones I see at the mall! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

They all roam around our property without causing trouble. My lab watches them and would chase them I guess if I let him but I've told him "NO!" so many times he just watches them now. They won't let you get too close but they are not terrified of you. They like to watch My Girl when we are working two or three dummy retrieves using hand signals. I guess they are wondering " what the dickens is that goofy dog doing now."

I like to see them around. And yes, I know about their depredations etc.but I've been around long enough to know Hey! We all gotta eat!