• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public bathing

These birds didn't mind sharing their bathtub. Due to the distance and lack of light, there are no "wall hangers" here, but they sure were fun to watch. This was my first time seeing a Scarlet Tanager and Northern Water Thrush.

4636751843_3061d16fea_o.jpg

4637362004_72443f418b_o.jpg

4637362668_19acd138eb_o.jpg

4636752223_242d0bb7cf_o.jpg

4636752313_b864c12f25_o.jpg

That is definately the first time I've seen an indigo bunting and a field sparrow in the same frame!! Very cool. Congrats on the scarlet tanager, I bet your heart was a pumping!

Very cool series - how long did you have to wait to get the whole neighborhood in action? Thanks for sharing!

Actually, the wait wasn't all that long. I met up with a bird lady who stays at the park the whole month of May. She recognizes the sounds of birds that I've never even heard of. She knew that between 4:00 and 5:00 was the best time. We were there for about 1/2 hour. By then, the dark clouds turned even darker. I love my 100-400 lens, but it requires pretty decent light to get real sharp photos. The last couple posts and my next couple, were mostly shot with pretty dark clouds. But, better to capture half way decent photos than none at all. It's kind of like fishing - you go when you can and hope for the best.

Sarah, this is a park you would love. It's Frontenac State Park just south of Red Wing. Although I'm told the numbers are down this year, I've never heard so many birds in one location before. One bird I'd have liked to have seen, and is sought after by other visitors to the park, is a blue-winged Warbler. One showed up at the pond a coule hours after we had left.