• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit lake Fishing Reports

What are the best tactics for Spirit Lake perch? I tried all day today and tried every presenation,but only got 1 smallmouth bass. what structure do they like at what times of year and what are the best presentions? do i just have bad luck or what?

I dont do alot of open water fishing for perch either, but it seems that it is better in August/Sept/October, as it seems the perch school up in the late summer. sometimes they are shallow(often in the weeds), but late last summer/early fall guys were catching them in 18-22fow. I like the yellow/white mini jigs(will put two on the line for the weight; better feel in deep water). alot of guys prefer the pilkies...while some guys use minnows. finding them is the toughest part it seems...will bite on alot of different things at times...

This time of year is tough, I think with the fuzzy heads and the mayflies hatching there is plenty of food for them and the bite is slow. But once it warms up a bit and gets later in the summer, it will be much better. I use multiple different rigs, pilkies, pilkie with a teardrop a foot above it, minnow, my newest method I really like, I have used my ice gear and fished with 3lb and a tungston jig for the weight, they have been biting really lite like they did over the winter.

I would recommend heading down to West and catching bluegills instead, or even on east and get some yellow bass, they are pretty good yet since the water hasn't gotten real warm yet. Perch won't pick for a little while I am guessing

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Water temperature is 79 degrees. Bluegill - Slow: Use a leech or crawler on a hook under a split shot and fish along weed beds on rock bars. Yellow Perch - Good: Perch fishing has been hit or miss. Anglers are using small jigs tipped with live bait in 20 to 22 feet of water or around weed beds in 8 to 12 feet near Big Stoney and Red Nose Point or Marble Beach. Walleye - Slow: Use a split shot and hook, Lindy rig with live bait or troll crankbaits along weed beds and rock bars.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Water temperature is 84 degrees. White Bass - Fair: Fish at sunrise or sunset with top water lures. Bluegill - Fair: Use small jigs or a split shot and hook tipped with live bait along the edges of weed beds. Smallmouth Bass - Fair: Fish at sunrise or sunset over rock bars with top-water lures. Yellow Perch - Fair: Perch fishing has been hit or miss. Anglers are using small jigs tipped with live bait in 20 to 22 feet of water or around weed beds in 8 to 12 feet along weed beds at sunrise. Walleye - Fair: Troll crankbaits in the basin at depths of 18 to 22 feet.