• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

soil prep???

luckycrank

Bag the grass clippings and lay them on 2 inches thick. No weeds and is good compost for next year, depending on the fertilizer and weed killer used on the lawn.

Since Jameson mentioned preen. Is it safe for tomatoes and peppers, I don't remember seeing them on the package label. I worry it may stunt their growth. Am I just being parinoid?

I would avoid chemicals in any shape or form possible if you're going to be eating what you plant. I know farmers use them but unless you're extremely confident you know what won't harm you, I say better safe than sorry.

I prefer natural methods of weed supression as we have little kids and dogs running around everywhere. The only time I will spray or use anything is when I know the kids and dogs will be out of the yard for a week when we go on vacation, etc.

We've slowly been reclaiming overgrown woods and weedlands around our house and by far, the most effective means of supression without chemicals is thick, black plastic film that you can buy at the garden centers. Landscaping fabric, no matter what kind, won't cut it if you have lots of weeds and grass. They will find a way to get through.

After you cut all the big stuff back, lay the film over the area you wish to plant/garden and stake it down. This will kill everything underneath within a matter of days/weeks. When you're ready to plant/garden, cut holes in the film where needed to plant tomatoes and what not. Plant your plants. Then use a pitch fork or knife or whatever and poke lots of holes in the film all over so water can get through. Then cover everything with mulch. Over time, you can pull up the film so the ground can breath better, but you really need that film at first to smother all of the weeds.

Bag the grass clippings and lay them on 2 inches thick. No weeds and is good compost for next year, depending on the fertilizer and weed killer used on the lawn.

I also used bagged grass clipping and put them about 2-3 inches deep. About every three weeks with NO weeds all summer and it helps keep the moisture in the ground on the hot days of summer.