• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Recomendation

MWellner

I have a 2001 Lund 1650 V Rebel that is the tiller version. I'd like to buy a bowmount trolling motor, like a Minn Kota AutoPilot.
How big of a shaft, and thrust is recomended for my boat.
However my father has a older autopilot like a 95, the head unit needs to be replaced. Any idea how much that would run me?
Thanks

mwellner,

Welcome to this great site!!

Well, I have owned 2 Minn Kotas with not much success. The first one was an auto-pilot which after 2 years started to go haywire everytime I fished in the rain. I took it to Mankato where they repair and build but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I told them to dunk it and then try it. They then found my delema. After all that I said screw it and bought a new auto piolit with the built in sonar. After 5 uses, the foot pedal went bad, I could only turn left, which really sucks when your in Canada. I took the pedal down to Mankato and with no questions asked got a new one. Next one might not be a Minn Kota.

For your Rebel I would always go with at least a 52-54" shaft. I personally love the 24 volts for longer fishing time before rechargeing. For the thrust power, I have a Smokercraft 160 and the 75lb thrust works great. The first one at 54lb thrust was a little under powered. I fish the river a lot and like it now that when I want to go upstream I can. Hope this helps out a little.

Keep the lines tight.

Scottfish, I am following this thread since I am in same "boat" as MWellner (I mean looking for a trolling motor).

I did have good luck with Motorguide, even if it's less considered.

One thing I was wondering, why it's bad to steer left only in Canada wink.gif

I have had very few problems with minnkota over time. I have always stuck to the cable steering (manual foot) bow mounts because I did have an array of problems with electronic steering. The electronic steering also seems to eat the batteries in a hurry.

I have had decent luck with Motorguide over time also. The only downfall of a motorguide that I have come across, the shaft (between head and lower unit) bends very easily if you run your lower unit into anything.

I still use the upper end Minnkota's. Overall I have had the best luck with them. I use my transom mount 95% of the time now.

MWellner,
I've been around 3 AutoPilots in the last 5 years and I love them. In fact, 2 of the 3 I actually own. 1 is on a 14' tri-hull and is 36# with a wireless remote. The other is a 42# (I believe) with the standard soft wire and is also the AutoPilot. It's on my 19' Tracker Magna19. Weak batteries are the biggest enemy. Every problem I thought I was ever having went back to weak batteries. You can have the old cable controled trolling motors as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather fish and let the AutoPilot do the work. That's why I carefully manage the health of my batteries. That's one item I don't take for granted. I'd rather have a boat that ran 30mph and had good batteries and a user friendly trolling motor than to get a boat that ran 70mph and had a cable controlled trolling motor just to make my batteries last longer. If you can afford both...then I'd go for it. Hope this helps a little.

------------------
...if I only had more time off!...
Dawg

Ive had the Auto pilots for years and LOVE them. The plug on the foot control cable can give you problems. Keep this connection DRY !! Or it will short out and cause germinate damage to the circuit board. Which Ive replaced for $150.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 02-24-2003).]

MWellner,one thing is to make sure the shaft is long enough!There is nothing worse than fishing in windy conditions and having your prop blowin' out of the water.Go with a longer shaft, it can always be adjusted shallower,but if it's to short your screwed.For the longer shaft trolling motors they do make a bracket to support the shaft while running, which is nice to have.Good luck & Good fishin'-Jigster

Wellner,

Welcome!!!

I have the 2000 Rebel with a 50 pound thrust bow mount Minnkota. If you could I would recommend a tad bit more power. Mine is fine for most situations, but I find in fishing current such as in a river or real windy conditions something more than a 50 would be nice. However, mine has been unreal in the electrical efficiency department and just fine.
Check your pocket book and just how much you can spend etc.
I do not like the locking mechanism on my unit, but will have to do for now.

Plus, with a 10 volt trickle charger, it doesn't take long to charge it.

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

grin.gif Hey Valv,

Turning left only in Canada reply is... Sooner or later you will hit a rock. Plus my partner in the boat was getting sick..deffinately from the spinning and not the beer. grin.gif

I switched from a motorgrind to a Minn Kota a few years ago (maxxum 74). This motor is indestructable. I have rammed wing dams, rocks, trees etc. It has been running strong for four seasons with no problems.

i own a maxxum 74 also hit some small rocks. going up river yesterday now i got about 6 inches of play in the pedal.tried tighting the pedal tension screw didnt help also broke the top plastic direction indicator.I hope i wont have to send it in.It's going to be nice out all week and it would mean i would have to put the pinpoint back on.