• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Call of Duty: Black Ops

LMITOUT

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note.. I dont want to jinx myself.. But I think I am starting to kick the motion sickness thing. JPZ sent mea link on how to help, and I talked to a nurse in one of my classes. So far having the right lighting in the room is very important, sitting as far away from the TV(something I had not done) and closing my eyes between games has really helped.. That and RAT yelling, "Close your eyes Deitz" on the launch board..

Quote:
DD has never seen a walleye. He just fishes for bass
Bite your tongue.. I actually got on some very good walleye bites this summer.. And I do target them more in the winter. However, around here its some what of a challenge to get on a consistent bite.

From the sounds of it, it doesnt matter, my router may be as good as it will get.

lol! I get long winded when I honestly believe something will help and during my typing time Nelson got her straight on. Nelson is one of the ones who knows and maybe one of the ones who broke the story years ago and I have to check that blog. I might have been reading it last week. laugh For the record this issue is nothing worth debating and like Nelson said an PI eluded to, no one of us are running the identical setup. Too many variables and results may very. Work works for me might work for you kind of junk. Here is my post I was going to submit. I did not even proof read or edit, so read at your own risk. grin Wasted too much time on this already. We have matches to win waiting for us, lag or no lag. :

I promise, this will be the last I speak of this. grin It's not up to me and not that big of an issue. smile Just looking to give help if any is wanted to be taken. Not trying to convince, sell, brainwash or anything. Just something cool I found that helped me and sharing with those who like this gaming stuff and maybe want to look into it. Like I said before, no one place will go over exactly what is needed and I believe this is on purpose. People just like having the upper hand when so many choose just write things off for other reason, plus it has made BO a total different game for me grin Go forward if you're interested and I promise nothing will be further by me because this is a silly topic to debate.

Nelson I wanna say you are right on with how Xbox is. I even dropped port 53 but switched around from both on 88 and 80 to one and another like you have. Really I have not seen any lag to speak of since. Another thing I have noticed is I am up front now my little green triangle is the first to show up (a second or two and enough to make me think I am alone) and one by one other on my team follow. I am constantly checking my signal now after working on it and I have not seen it drop past the 3 green bars and actually have seen dull dark green bars now. None of that blipping from 3 to 4 or 2 to 3 bars, with the ocational yellow to red drop and swing back.

Dietz brings up another great point. The guys who have played with me know this, but I had a huge issue during play time and someone else steaming Netflix in the house. It my way of knowing my kids are sneaking in a movie past 9:00pm during a school night. They pull a streaming Netflix movie, my strength would fluctuate terrible and be in the yellow. Lag, lag, lag and BUSTED! I would have to go upstairs and shake them down and disconnect the Wii. Since this adjust meant I have not even noticed a change much at all when someone is streaming a movie. Maybe a little, but not like before. Each device that hooks into the internet via the router is assigned a static IP address. My main address 192.168.0.1. This is what I type into my search bar at the top of my browser while hooked up via WiFi or LAN to get to the home screen inside my router to access these settings. 192.168.0.6 is my laptop static assigned IP addy, 0.3 is the Wii, 0.4 is my sons computer, 0.5 is my iPhone, so on and so on. 192.168.0.2 was our Xbox. This also goes into some QoS (Quality of Service) settings (another story, but cool once you figure out), but what this monkey business comes down and does is provides, lack of better words, more of a pure funnel of data flow to the Xbox. Prior to this the data stream was being shared with the entire flow as things were being used. Basically you divide (prioritize) a dedicated amount of your, for give me, packets/stream/data/what ever to your Xbox. So instead of waiting in line for your Xbox's, PS3 share of the pie, it is pre-ordered and warm, waiting and ready when the Xbox needs it. I believe portfowarding also really helps with DSL. Your sharing in a sense the hub/box with those that live around you. By PFing you still get stuck in traffic, buy kind of like the Carpool lane on freeway, it helps but during peak times, you are subject to traffic flow still. In my case I found our Wii and Xbox was were sharing 0.3 for some reason. I was running into what Deitz had said but have dedicated the priority needed to play the Xbox on it's static IP and vise-versa with the Wii & other devices. I might pull a little more on the Xbox whistle, but they can still watch the Wii, but if anything else is pulling bandwidth, they suffer and I do not. grin

So by what Dietz has said, he would benefit from from checking into this hands down. Not sure of his ISP or what they are, or what bandwidth he is running at, but if it over 1.5mbps you can improve this. Maybe cable internet sets this up for you, but as far as I have found with DSL, their job is to feed the source in at what you pay for and leave it up to the router manufacture to do the rest. If you look in my owners manual, for a fee Actiontec will (I should say "would have") would walk you threw this.

In regards to my router, far as I have found in my digging and both Qwest & Live coming to the conclusion of my router being still kind of the issue, my searching has not found a router that does this for you. If someone knows of one, let us know. Netgear & Linksys are the two that are most recommended with DSL, but still require proper adjustments. Even back in 2004-2005 my Actiontec Router's manual suggest and even used the Xbox name in it's owner manual: Click Here

They gave you a small idea on how to config, which tells me configging is not just fluffy talk and something that is myth. Look up your router's manual on line, I will almost guaranteeing there is an Xbox section if not a gaming section on setup. wink Qwest does not really support any suggestions, but I was fortunate enough to get a fellow gamer on the phone who said (off the record) this is what you should do. Live said to set it up, Qwest said it, Actiontac says it. I finally realized maybe there was something to this mumbo jumbo. grin

PI thanks for the stats. I think that is mainly a PS3 fix, even though the features require data transfer.

Larry, you being a noob was what helped me. The speech(s) on whether to Prestige verses not to Prestige, being explained how it was at first just best to be the grunt & learn while carrying the launcher to allow the guys do what they do. grin Even those courses I "tried" to help with got me my first chopper gunner flights. Darren has thrown his hat in the ring and just listening to you guys (all of your) has helped in some way. Maybe I should really be upset and angry with you guys. grin The more I think of it, you guys got me hooked on this junk more than I thought I would ever be with gaming again in my life. laugh Ah good times. I am sure I will get burned out once again. Nothing stays this cool for long.

Great post shack! I am finding that if I can't write a reply within 2 minutes, there will be 5 more posts since the one I was trying to respond to smile.

As for the router question - check this bad boy out: D-Link GamerLounge

QoS already built for the gamer, giving gaming priority over everything else (of course, you can change this if you need to). I had one of these when I lived in an apartment with a roommate that was heavy on downloading torrents. Would really kill me with the motorola we had previously, but after switching to the GL I could play games with no lag issues and he still got his downloads in a timely fashion.

It's tough to swallow coming in at $190 from most retailers, but if you're a geek like me you'll find means to justify the purchase. I think Qwest has it set up so you'll never get away from the actiontec as a modem, but as long as you forward all traffic to the dlink router it shouldn't be an issue (disable all routing capabilities of the actiontec).

Other option is a cisco asa 400, but they jump up to $800 and exceed the requirements of typical home use...

Treyarch took the IW 4.0 (COD4) engine as their base platform for both WaW and BOps. Whatever modifications or enhancements they claim were made from that engine seem to be at fault. It seems they try to do a lot more (interactive) with the multiplayer side of it, public player stats being one of them. In both MW and MW2, you could not view the KD ratio of someone in the lobby if they weren't your friend. In WaW & Bops this feature was opened up, along with many other trivial items.

Infinity Ward obviously has the upper hand with their own in house developed engine. COD4 had its connectivity issues, but I would almost consider it flawless compared to what we faced with World at War and now Black Ops (and they were quick to rectify and issues). I can't say that I ever had consistent problems with MW2 either, 99% of the time, it works every time smile.

I dropped WaW like a bad habit because they never corrected the issues, I hope the same isn't going to be true for Black Ops but we will soon find out. As dtro has mentioned, their forums have been hopping with hotfixes and known issues so it seems promising.

So essentially what you're saying is that even after messing around with port this and port that, it's still boils down to Treyarch's inability to do multiplayer correctly and you can change all the network settings you want, it's still a flawed product.

I've also read that those suggestions that Shack mentioned are an open door to hackers into your home network.

Shack, Depending on your router you can eliminate kids and Netflix all you want! You can set a schedule for your wii's ability to use the internet. You could set a schedule so at 9pm internet cuts off Sunday through Thursday, and on weekends. Friday and Saturday, you could have it go later as most often kids are up later on weekends.

Simple solution for that

I cannot seem to get an open NAT! best I can do is "moderate".

I have the 20mbps fiber optic internet. The internet comes from the ISP and plugs directly into my Linksys wireless router (there is no cable or DSL modem), which then wirelessly feeds the PS3 which sits in the adjacent room.

Is it worth it to try port forwarding? I tried in the past and was not successful...could always try again though. What would a guy in my shoes try first to open up that NAT?

Feeding a Cat5 cable to the PS3 would be very difficult. The cable guys were just out to my place installing fiber optic cable TV (which is fed with cat5, not coax like I ran in my walls) and it took them over an hour to feed the cable and that was with two of them. Had I been thinking I would have had them feed 2 cables at once...Doh!

I lived in an apartment with a roommate that was heavy on downloading torrents. Would really kill me with the motorola we had previously, but after switching to the GL I could play games with no lag issues and he still got his downloads in a timely fashion.

Oh how i love torrents!!!!

Is it worth it to try port forwarding? I tried in the past and was not successful...could always try again though. What would a guy in my shoes try first to open up that NAT?

Enable DMZ on your router...

Than see what you get.

if that doesn't work open up some ports on your ps3

TCP: 80, 443, 5223

UDP: 5223, 3478, 3479, 3658

59c653fed8fa4b6d97dc2d0b7b7f0d13.jpg

and you should get

ed44497e4808423ea9cdf6a8ea35fd96.jpg

Wait...so NAT type 2 means it is "open"? Because I believe I have NAT 2, but when I log onto COD it says "NAT type= Moderate"

I thought NAT type 1 was the best a person could get?

NAT 1 = wide open or DMZ, sometimes you need to give your PS3 the actual public facing IP to achieve this.

NAT 2 = Behind router with proper forwarding

NAT 3 = Restricted

You should be fine with NAT 2.

Finally something I understand. What a horrible level. I dont get peoples fascination with it.

Agreed. I don't enjoy that level at all. Twice I was spawned in the middle of 5 guys from the other team. How is that even possible??

I played about 10 games last night and experienced the Network lag/shot detection issue pretty bad. Think my team went 1-9 and I even had a 9-26 game. Needless to say my stats just got killed. Really frustrating-they need to get it fixed.

Not sure, but I was playing with PI last night.. he was looking for what he called "Local games".. one being hosted here in the states.. I thought things were flying quite nicely... I still sucked, but at least I was sucking without lag... That last quote may come back to bite me.. but you know what I mean! And no, thats not what She said!