• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a deck on a seasonal camper

dnoz

I would like to build a 8 x 12 foot deck on a seasonal camper that is also covered. Any body have any pics or tips on how to do this? Just planning on putting it on piers but trying to determine the best way to design this.

I am not sure what you mean by covered but if you go to any lumber yard they should have plans and price it out for you. I built a 8 x 12 for mine about 5-6 years ago. It is a simple patio deck that took three of us a short afternoon to put together. Not sure what they are called but there is a cement block with slots that accept a 2x8 if you want to keep it off the ground. You would need 6 blocks, one in each corner and one on each 12' side.

If you have small children, build the deck at door height, it saves the hinges on the screen door from abuse. Most campgrounds won't let you set posts in the ground. We just set ours on cement bricks. Our neighbor at the lake made a perimeter form,ran one joist down the center,filled it with sand, and put the decking on. Seems to be working well, but couldn't give you a cost.

I added one that's about 8x10 to our camper a few years ago. I used 2x6's for framing (might want to go 2x8's though). I built it in two pieces 4x10 at home so that I could easily transport, attach, and support them up at our property. I lag bolted the two halves together and supported the whole thing using 6 concrete piers (2 down center where the halves attach) and vertical 4x4's. Took less than 2 hours to setup when I got there. I added a set of stairs from pre-cut stringers and was done. The nice thing is no one falls out of the camper anymore. Bad thing is I couldn't add balluster railings because I still use the roll out canopy a lot.

google dek blocks or floating foundation.

I am in the same process of design a deck for my seasonal site.

If you find the site they have a program that will layout the deck design and give an estimated cost.

About fifteen years ago, I wanted a deck for my seasonal. So I built five 4 foot by 8 foot sections creating an 8 x 20 foot deck. Set them up by using regular concrete blocks. Tied them together using 1x4 boards across the front face. Then we got a park model and needed a walkway to the back door. Two of the sections became the walk way with railing, the other three became a patio on the ground in front. Then we bought 20 acres and built a house. The three that were the patio came along with us and now two of them are the front stoop and one of them is a spare in the garage. The condition of the wood is as good today as when I built them. I can't believe they are fifteen years old. The moral of the story is, make what you build today portable and versatile and over the years, you will get your moneys worth.