• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Group

kentuck_ike

Would anyone in Southern MN be interested in joining a training group one or two Saturdays a month. We have 150 acres of grassland , two ponds, two semi professional trainers, and a ton of equipments & access to birds. We are about 45 minutes south of Rochester, just north of LeRoy, MN (55951). This is just in the planning stage but we would like to start mid to late May. We would love to have input and suggestion.

Thanks, Ben

sounds like a great idea to me. I have a 10 month old lab pup that i get together with my friend's labs every once and a while for training sessions. wondering what type of dogs your training or looking for in the group. my dog is young with tons of drive, and willing to learn, but very defiant right now. i thinks it's great to get dogs together for sessions, and would benefit my training techniques as well. I'm a young trainer and have a young dog so we're both looking for help and tips to benefit us. it sounds like you have a great training facility or area. I'm wondering what type of equipment you have access to and about birds? do you raise birds or have somewhere where you can get them from for a decent price? also wondering if there is licensing needed for training with live birds on private property. please keep me informed about anything as i would be very willing to help out or join in if possible. thanks.

All breeds are welcome, I have brittanies & Lewellins, the other semi pro trainer has Drahthaars. We both love bird dogs and have extensive training in the Huntsmith training methods. We also welcome anyone else who has there own training methods, and any level of trained dog from pups to finished.

We have bird launchers, autobackers, starter pistols, chain gangs, good cover, and a lot of small stuff. I have homing pigeon and have kill pigeons on the way. I usally have chukars as well.

The DNR has a free permit for training dogs affield with live ammo, I have this on my desktop and can e-mail to anyone interested. my e-mail is [email protected]

We are leaning towards the 2nd & 4th Saturdays of the month starting the 4th Saturday of May. If you are interested please e-mail me so I can get you on the list to contact with any changes or updates.

Thanks, Ben

how much?

I will have a French Britteny coming home with me in late June. curious if you would let me come spend a session down there without a dog, just to see what others are doing with their puppies and get some tips.

At this time we are only asking you cover the cost of the birds you use, things like blanks for starter pistols, pop or water out of my dog kennel fridge. If you would like to give a free will donation to help cover costs of maintaining the grounds & training equipment it would be greatly appreciated.

Aceman: you are more than welcome to come & visit with out a dog, but don't be too surprised if you end up getting put to work with one of our dogs, if you would be comfortable with it.

I would be very interested in getting involved with a training group, it would be beneficial to anyone involved. My 18 month old male black lab could benefit from some fresh training methods, it would be nice to get him on some live birds again. What do you need from me or what are the qualifications?

Thanks.

I have a new Viszla coming in about 6 weeks and would love to do something like this. 2 Saturdays a month would be a lot for me with family time and other things to be done, but I would love to hit a couple.

I also really think the average trainer (such as me) can benefit greatly working with guys who have trained more. I have always thought with training as with fishing, everyone is better at something then me, and if I can pick up that one thing then I am a better trainer. grin

My Dad and I would be very interested, but noticed there aren't many pointing dogs mentioned. We have a four month old shorthair with a good nose. I am a novice at training and need help with a sometimes stubborn puppy that needs to learn how to behave around other dogs.

I have brittanys, and a few of my customers will more than likely come with their britts. I would encourage you come on down and give it a try. If nothing else it would be a good chance to socialize your pup.