• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prepping skis and snowboards for summer

Now that the ski and snowboard season is over, you should consider prepping your skis and snowboards for summer storage. Why you ask? Because adding a coat of wax now will help protect the ski bases and prevent them from drying out during the summer months. So how do you do it? It's actually quite simple and quick. First you clean the ski bases like normal and let them dry. Next you add a coat of soft wax to the bases. I usually drip wax onto the bases with the iron, then spread the wax over the base to make sure the wax covers the entire base. Apply wax generously. You may need to add a second coat of wax in certain areas of the base. When the wax dries you are ready for summer storage. There is no need to scrape the bases of the excess wax. Actually the excess wax will help protect the bases. Then you just scrape the wax next fall and you are set to go.

I agree with so haaad. Protects the skis and snowboards. I used to put on specific storage wax that had to be scraped off in the fall and then put a true glide wax on for the first ride or ski. Now I just put on a wide range glide wax (for me, Fast Wax Blue) and in the fall scrape and go. Not as pure a base protection, but lots more convenient.

I bought new cross country skis last year (Fisher) and didn't do a thing for storage. They're working just fine this year and all that I use is a wet glide wax available at REI. Do I really need to worry about all of this scraping and what not, or can I just toss on a final coat of glide wax before storage?

I bought new cross country skis last year (Fisher) and didn't do a thing for storage. They're working just fine this year and all that I use is a wet glide wax available at REI. Do I really need to worry about all of this scraping and what not, or can I just toss on a final coat of glide wax before storage?

Did you use them last year or did you just purchase them and put them away until this winter?

I have been skate skiing for 10+ years and have always done my waxing. At the end of every season I do exactly whats been mentioned. Take one of the wider ranging waxes and melt on a nice, even and thick coat. If the temperature is right the following winter I will take it off and head right for the trails otherwise I take the wax off and put on another type of wax for the weather.

I know in years past I have not put enough wax on and the skis will appear to be oxidized (turning white from during out). I am not sure if is good for the skis so from now on I make sure I have plenty on to not have to worry.

I skied quite a bit last winter. After the last trip, I just put them up in the rafters of my garage. I've been skiing a couple mornings a week all this winter (just went again this morning). I just put on a fresh coat of wax every other outing and things seem to work out great. Although, I'm not using the melt-on type of waxes. Just one that comes in a bottle with a foam applicator on top.