• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rock salt???? ingredient in ice cream maker

We got an ice cream maker, shaped like a ball, for christmas. We finally thought about it and were going to try it. One of the ingredients is "rock salt"...what is this?? It even specifically states not to use driveway salt. I'm thinking it means like softner salt...am I correct, or way off base?? If that's not it, where can you get "rock salt" for the recipe??

sorry for my ignorance, but we want ice cream, but can't justify a trip to town just for that!!

Most big grocery stores carry rock salt. It's typically used for canning or pickling. A coarse grained Kosher pickling or canning salt works just as well.

You will LOVE home made ice cream!

You can use the same salt used for water softners. I like using the crystals because then I don't have to crush the salt. You can actually use most any salt; table salt, rock salt, softner salt, kosher salt, canning salt, or sea salt. The important thing is to be careful how much you use. Too much and you'll freeze the ice cream too rapidly causing it to crystalize. Too little and it will take a weak to freeze. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but it will take a long time.