• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is my goose cooked?

Between home and work is a place the locals call "Duckville". Two to three pairs of geese have nested there the past three years, and mallards tend to hang around close by. Always seems to be something happening there.

On my way to work this morning, I saw a pair of harriers working the grassy area around Duckville:

Harriers-1.jpg

Got a photo of the male going down into the grass, but couldn't tell why until I got home and brought it up on my computer. Take a close look at what's right under him:

harriers-3.jpg

On my way home from work, another predator sneaking through the grass in almost the same place:

fox-1.jpg

I know at least two of the geese were okay even after the fox went through.

All taken with the 7D and 100-400 IS

Yes, they are heavily cropped. This pair were over a quarter of a mile away and was amazed the 7D even picked 'em up at all - especially at ISO 1600 and less than 1/100th of a second (about 7 this morning and cloudy). Figured I had to try and thought the story was worth the sacrifice in image quality. The fox was only fifty feet away, but hunkered down in the grass looking at me. Didn't think I'd get much in that image either but manual focused as best as I could and PP helped bring it out.

very cool to get the male and female in the same frame. the three male harrier shots I posted there was a female hunting with it but nowhere near close enough to think about both in the same picture. The way they fly makes it tricky to shoot just one, I'm jealous!

Not sure what that is. I would not think they would go after a turtle but it kind of looked like a shell there. Thanks for throwing up that original. I got a lens fund going and the 100-400L is what I got in mind. I figure I should be able to get it just before the youngest kid complete high school. He is 2.