• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

best weed wacker recommendation--cheap and reliable

chanfish

need to replace mine...this is only for home and not heavy duty applications here. use maybe twice a month..kinda would like a lightweight one. sears has used ones. is that a good buy? looked at home depot and sears so far. they start at about 69 and go up from there. i was thinking of going up to 100 dollars or so if i can get one on sale..also ease of line replacement would be a good thing.

thanks,

I'm not normally an rechargeable type guy, but we bought a B&D Grass Hog electric trimmer a few years ago, and I've been pretty happy with it.

What's even better is that it's wife friendly. wink

Not the best track record with some of my friends who have purchased them (because they run saw blades on them for brush), but I purchased a Ryobi 4 stroke trimmer back in 05'. The issue with them was (and not just the 4 stroke) is drive spring breaking from the split to the attachment. This was not on the motor end, but the attachments you could buy separately or the trimmer line head that came with it. I did have one break, but it was my fault. I was using were I should have been using a brush mower wink

Pro's are:

*No mixing gas

*Lower noise when trimming

*Can put a ton of attachments on the thing from blowers, tiller, tree trimming saw, to a snow blower.

*Very easy trimmer string loading mechanism.

*IMO uses less gas than my older two strokes, plus the cost in 2 stroke oil I am sure adds up over time. The crank case holds less than a cup of oil and I change once a year.

*No stinky 2 stroke smell after you are done.

Con's are:

* Non-commercial grade ones are not designed to run cutting blades verse a trimmer line head. You can put one on their, but do not over load it.

B00004R9QV.01-A1ROAW4PRDYZ8L._SCLZZZZZZZ

B00004R9R4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00004R9R3.01-A1ROAW4PRDYZ8L._SCLZZZZZZZ

B00004R9R6.01-A1ROAW4PRDYZ8L._SCLZZZZZZZ

They sell them at Menards & the attachments also. They are not Ryobi brand anymore but another. Same thing though.

I think the Ryobi's are still sold at HD.........

I have an Echo that I have been pretty happy with, but its above your price range. Its six years old and haven't had any problems until this year where a small gasket between the gaslines and gas tank started leaking. Other than that, its been rock solid.

I got the Black & Decker like DTRO last summer. Granted I only have 0.25 acres but it does the job just fine. One battery will get the yard done. I put the spare on when I'm done and put the one that I just used in the charger. I have no qualms with it and it was under $100 at either HD or Menards.

I would say go with a better unit and quit replacing them all the time. I got so sick of the "throw away" units I bought a Stihl and couldn't be happier. Not only is it better built, but it has more power. You can buy three junker $100 models or one for $279 that will still be running when the others are all in the junk yard.

thanks everyone.. bought the gas curved model from sears for 99.

all good points. i really dont use mine that much. only for around the house and trees. it does have option for attachments...i would have liked to get a higher priced unit but that was what my budget would allow.