• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suspension Questoins...

Cowhead

So i have seen some people put lift kits on their wheeler and what not and well i just upgraded my tires to a little bigger and i was wondering about a lift kit and how do they work? Do they just drop the lower contorl arms or do they bring the top of the shock and spring down two inches? My stock suspension only has the preload on the spings set on the first notch so what happens if i crank em up that extra 4 notches will it give me another half an inch? or will my 4 wheeler ride like [PoorWordUsage]? i noticed that alot of used ones in showrooms have the springs maxed out. Last but not least wheel spacers what good do they do? my tires with the new rims already stick out about an inch or 2 past the fenders and i am hitting my self with rocks and mud all the time but where do the spacers come in handy?

Personally i am not a fan of lift kits cause it causes the machine to be more tippy and i don't think they look very nice! Although if you are going to strickly ride in mud and water, it would be nice!! If you want some good info on lift kits go to mudinmyblood and check out there atv forums! Lots of good info on mods for your 4 wheeler and alot of guys that do that kind of stuff for a living!

Lift kits on an ATV will require you to also go with longer A-Arms, suspension and axles to minimize the angle on your axles (less wear), not to mention keeping your now taller center of gravity over a wider footprint.

I have a 2 inch lift on my forman and noticed no differance what so ever in stability granted its still probably lower than yours. But i would stay away from wheel spacers I know a couple people who had them and they went back to stoch because they were burning up bearings like crazy.

Never used a lift kit. I do have 2 inch wheel spacers on my Polaris Ranger HD. I put them on last fall. The HD has the bigger self leveling shocks on the back so I had to add the spacers so that the chains I put on for plowing wouldn't hit them. Otherwise I don't see any need for them. Been debating if I should leave the spacers on year round or take them off for the summer.

So i noticed today when i went out for my 35 mile ride that when i let off the throttle well basics here weight transfers to the front and it gets a little hard to keep under control. So would maybe putting on a few extra clicks on the preload help that out? and also the other thing is i keep being told that i should be able to pull the front end off the ground and well i cant any idea why not.

yes, setting the pre-load up a little tighter will help with the nose dive under decelleration.

As far as lifting the front off the ground, part of it might be either heavier tires/wheels or the clutch isn't set up right. A different set of clutch springs will help.

So i noticed today when i went out for my 35 mile ride that when i let off the throttle well basics here weight transfers to the front and it gets a little hard to keep under control. So would maybe putting on a few extra clicks on the preload help that out?

That 750 should be able to pull the tires off the ground no problem. But if not and you like doing wheelies, just buy a pair of stiffer clutch springs for the suzu. It is a cheap and quick mod for your wheeler! My kawi brute 650 could pull the wheels off in low gear right when i bought the machine, but, i did put tighter springs in mine a few months ago and now in high gear it will stand straight up if i gun it and give it a little help by leaning back! The springs also made a huge difference when turning my bigger tires in the deep mud!!

Right now all my preload is set at the first notch and thats all the way around so where can i buy the wrench to adjust the preload and also i was looking at a full on Clutch kit from EPI it runs about 180 and it replaces the springs in the wet clutch and the rollers in the primary and the spring in the secondary they claim i wont lose top end but ill get there alot faster and have more shift in and shift out and well shift in and shift out im not quite sure what they mean about that if i punch the King Quad right off the line it spins out and the front end comes up but not off the ground i guess i dont care if i ride a wheelie or not but eveyone else makes fun of me because i cant.

I wouldn't waste my money on a full blown clutch kit, all you need are two different springs! Just my opinion! What they mean by shift in and out is your throttle response and how quickly your belt engages! After i put springs in mine the throttle response was crazy, which would help you with your wheelies!! wink

Suzuki has a different belt system than that of Kawi and popo. Suzuki also detuned the 700 before releasing it to the public. My Kingquad with 27" tires won't pull a wheelie either unless I have great surface traction or a slight incline and then it will do them in low only. There is a electronical device out there that returns the Kingquad to full power and eliminates all the limiters also. It's called a VDI. As suggested you can do some clutch work on it.

How much do you think they have been tuned down? I have ready about VDI on the King Quad but i havent ever heard of anyone running one and if it made a difference or not to it so i am still kinda leary. So jltimm what year is your King Quad and do you have any pictures of it? I would like to see it.

If your 700 doesn't pull a wheelie there is something wrong I have had a king 700 and now have a 750 and both had ITP terracross 26s and they would both pull a wheelie in high. I would also recommend getting a 2-3 inch lift for the machine had one on the 700 and it worked amazing never had any issues, I would have one on the 750 but haven't had time so go to the dealer and pick put the one I want or the time to install it. It is a little more tippy but you don't notice it until you are going pretty fast.

My King is a 2005, and it hasn't wheelied easily since new. It will wheelie on the right occasion with alot of input, but not at will. From what I've read about some people with the VDI they say it's a night and day difference. But on the same note some people say there is no notable difference? You have to set them up properly with a computer from my understanding. Sorry, I don't have much for pics of the King and if i did I wouldn't know how to post them anyhow. I've got around 2600 miles on it now mostly from work related miles, and haven't had an issue yet other than oil useage.

Don't waste your time or money finding the exact spanner wrench you need to adjust the preload . AN ordinary set of channel locks is all I use . Just spray the area with wd 40 and wiggle the preload washer back and forth then turn it in the direction you want it to lock into place .

TD