• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quack

harvey lee

Well, I now have way too much quack in my front yard for me to even look at.

I believe I am going to spray the area with chemical to kill the quack this fall. Then till the area up and reseed.

Anyone have a better idea rather than redoing the front yard?

You could look around for Certainty and give it a try in the spring here to see if it helps. Not sure what the cost of it is or if it actually works well. If it don't work then you could spray the yard will a non-selective herbicide and start over.

If i were to spray round-up, I would spray it twice a couple weeks apart to make sure I got everything. Then unless I needed to do some grade changing, I would Aerate the area you are seeding with a plug type aerifier followed with seeding with a slit seeder which will break up the plugs and drop seed into the holes.

I am not sure you would realy want to till and cut the roots of Quackgrass even though you sprayed the area.

Harvey, here's a really good trick a customer told me about.

Take a hockey stick or something similar and put a sock on it. Let the quack grow up a little, so it's 3-4" above your grass. Soak some roundup on the sock and brush it over the tops of your quack. Just make sure you don't step in the area you treated, and don't water at all for a couple of days. If you do you'll wash the product onto the lawn and kill your grass. It takes several times to get it out of the lawn, but it works alot better than killing off a big chunk of your lawn and starting over! Also make sure to reseed any areas that you kill the quack out of to thicken the area up.