• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st time posting and attempted editing...

Jordyn, I have two recommendations. First, get a book that details photography from the basics to the fine points, and get a book about photo editing. This way you can relax over those books and absorb knowledge. Second, keep shooting and keep editing. They each improve with practice.

Examine a potential photograph from all angles, and shoot from all angles and focal lengths. That type of experimentation refines your compositional eye over time and speeds up your learning when it comes to manipulating the camera and lens settings.

Pay close attention to the light. Really, light is the key. It is subject and inspiration all rolled into one. Gorgeous light can turn an otherwise mundane photograph into a keeper, and a keeper into a masterpiece.

I see from the exif data in your photos that you're using the Digital Photo Professional editing software that came with your camera. If you want to keep using it, you can go to the Canon Web site and download a free upgrade, which likely will have some features not found on DPP when your XS came out. If you seriously want to do strong photo editing, I'd recommend buying Photoshop Elements. It has everything a photographer really needs but is far, far less expensive than the full blown Photoshop CS4.

Google "buy photoshop elements 7" and you'll find plenty of places to buy it. Scott Kelby has a series of books on how to use the various versions of Photoshop, and they are highly regarded as easy to read and use.

You also may want to take a photo course, or hire a photo teacher/guide, or search out a mentor. The photographic learning curve can be very, very steep, and any of these routes will make the learning go faster and easier. Hands-on training in the field is the most thorough, fastest and cost-effective learning available. Good news is, you can work at it as hard or as little as you like. Whatever suits you. smilesmile

Besides what Steve posted, be sure to read and reread your camera instruction manual. Play with the camera controls until they get to be second nature.

I just finished up giving some lessons to someone with a Canon AL-1 film camera. I had never even heard of that camera, and of course she didn't have an instuctional manual. She didn't even know how to change lenses. I've yet had a student that had actually learned how to make important setting changes on their equipment. This is something anyone can and should learn fron the get go.