• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum boat that leaks

erikwells

I have a 1982 aluminum Lund boat that has a slow leak. It doesn't keep me off the lake but is annoying. Any of you experts have any recommendations short of bringing it in to have the rivets welded (or as my brother would say buy fiberglass)?

JB Weld comes in two parts like epoxy, just follow the directions. Once that stuff sets it's on. That's why it's called weld. You can get it at just about any hardware store or auto parts store. There are guys that have even fixed cracked blocks on cars with this stuff.

Good Luck

I have used JB weld on boat leaks before and found it too brittle and it didn't last long. Cabela's sells a epoxy stick you apply with heat and that works really good. If you really want to fix it coat the bottom of you're boat with Hurca-liner (sp), it's a lot of work, you have to prime the alumanum first as the hercu-liner will not bond to bare metal. You must apply Hercu-liner as per thier instructions or it will not work. The epoxy stick from Cabelas is the way to go.
Good luck and stay dry.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0001390010655a&navAction=push&navCount=4&indexId=cat21324&podId=0001390&catalogCode=IC&parentId=cat2132 4&parentType=index&rid=
http://www.herculiner.com/index.html

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

My boat had a leak last year too. I made a little tool that had a little cup in it to form to the rivet head. Had a friend hold a heavier hammer on the inside while I pounded on the outside. Solved the problem for me. The boat dealer wanted 300 bucks to do the same thing. only took about 5 min.

Ahh yess, I still miss my 14' Miami and
1954 Johnson 10hp. It was a classic, and
if it could talk...a ton of stories!!

I fell in love with it at first sight.The guy
I bought it from,was sorry to see it go.On
its maiden voyage with me(April 93), it saved
a man's life on Lake Owasso!!

We as fisherfolk, think we have a lot of stories to tell, but an old boat has had generations of fisherfolk. Yep, if
boats could talk!!!!!!!!

The putty stuff that cwmn was talking about works excellent. I had a neighborhood kid start playing on top of my 14' boat when it was overturned in the winter .. with a hatchett !!

That stuff is still holding strong today (10 years later). Another good product is Goop®. That stuff will seal any leak and it wont come off.