• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GAS GAUGE HELP

ikeslayer

If it is like most systems, there should be a wire coming from the gauge to the center stud of the sender. The tank (or sender) needs to be grounded also.

But unless the gauge in the dash is properly connected, running the wire to the tank may not be all that is needed.

I don't know much about the electrical part, if it is indeed electrical, but on my 150 it turned out the speedo was run from a tube run back and down the motor and it was water pressure that ran the gauge. Turned out there was a tear in the tube. It's just a little black hose, maybe 3/16" diameter. Good luck.

Be sure to read Marine_Man post very well. There is absolutely NO positive (+) going to the sending unit, just 2 negative (-) wires, pink on center post and black on side.

The sending units all function the same.. the difference will be if you have to bend the float and arm to work with your tank (which isn't difficult) or if you get the one that's a drop in replacement with no adjustment required.

marine_man

I will be pulling the old one out to see what type is in there right now. Will have to decide then which type to put back in. Not too sure about the one I described above. I would think that that type would be prone to sticking in one location when it is going down. Will be taking a good look at different ones. Don't want to do this again any time soon.

BBB

Some of the sdjustables have a rod that can be cut to fit your application. Simply remove the old one, hold them side by side and cut the rod on the new one to match it.

Moeller makes the reed style sending units, the ones with the float that goes straight up and down. They claim its more reliable.....