• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pro Craft Boats

MikeEiden

Anyone have any experiences with the fish-n-ski version of these boats? I've been looking at them for a while and appearance wise they seem like they would be a decent family/weekend warrior boat. I've also been looking at the Ranger Reata's and similar like the 1850/1860VS. Looking for something the family (3 younger kids) can comfortable fish out of and once they get a little older I'm sure will like to do some water sports.

Currently have a 17' Targa WT but it gets a little tight when everyone goes out fishing.

Any insight is appreciated.

Mike

My father in law has an 1850 Reata and its a great boat. Good size, layout, and functionality. Its what I would buy. I believe he has a 150 Yammy on it and gets up somewhere around 40mph, (not my boat so I don't redline it) so should be fast enough for future water sports.

I have an 1850 Reata and a couple young kids. The boat works out great for our family. I get pretty serious about fishing and the boat works better for that than I had expected it would, and the family loves it for cruising and water sports. It was definately the right way to go for us.

I'm not familiar with the ProCraft boats you're looking at, but assuming they have the features like built-in swim ladder, folding jump or bench seats in back, retractable deck up front, and open and deep layout, I'd think they'd work out well for what you want.

I have to agree that with kids and family activities, the "Fish and Ski" concept works quite well. I went from a tiller boat to a 20' F&S a few years back and I'm happy about the decision. You will have to change some of the ways you fish, but it is just learning new techniques. A couple of things to look for are: 1) Boat length - Watch the room around the seat area and be sure you can move about, I went to a 20' boat for this. 2)Power - be sure you have enough motor as these boats tend to be heavy. 3) Trolling motor - Again, get enough power and find one that's easy to foot operate and fishing will be easier.

Here is what I have today.

Image008-1.jpg

Thanks again for all the feedback. When I bought my first and current boat I thought it would be enough room and yes we can get by but once you put in all the boat seats there ends up being a shuffle when someone wants to move about. And with kids, well they want to move all the time. One thing I've been a little concerned about is I like to troll (muskies & 'eyes). The PC and even certain versions of the Reata have the bench seat in back which will be great for fitting all the kids but it looks like it may be difficult to mount rod holders and fit the rods with the larger back decks. I know there are taller rod holders but wanted to hear if any of you had any problems. Plus the PC doesn't have any rails and I'm not sure how easy it is to mount rails or rod holder mounts.

I'm definitly going to have to find a PC somewhat locally so I can get a first hand look at one. Also I wouldn't mind finding a ranger dealer and looking over their boats. We may wait until next year to buy a new boat but if the right deal comes along, well it might just happen this year.

Thanks again.

I don't know what you're thinking for rod holders, but the stainless grab rails are great and the rail-mount rod holders give you a lot of flexibility.

With the folding jump seats and retractable bow in our boat, we almost never have the 3rd and 4th seats (which are on removable air rides pedestals) in the boat. We leave them out for more floor space, and when we're cruising the kids (or other adults) sit in the jump seats or the bow. It works great IMO.

PJ, you said everything I've been thinking. Ideally I would love to have rails for the rod holders. Also what you talked about with the 1850RS is what really draws me to it. The jump seats can more or less replace the 3/4 seats for great floor space. But I have not found anything in my price range so that's why I've been looking at other options.

I'm in no rush so if I get a chance to get a good look at this boat and I know its the one, then I'll wait to get what I want. Cost more money in the long run to keep upgrading.

I dont think ProCraft is making boats anymore. From what I heard Bass Pro shops is dumping this lineup and concentrating on Nitro. You might want to consider looking at Skeeter as well, they make some really nice fish and ski boats

be sure to take a look at YAR CRAFT the have some good combo boats

and lot of storage for rod so when you are playing you dont step on them etc etc

and just lots of dry storge for things you pull

i bought my for fishing but theres differently enough room for just crusing and lots of people

you can see them on here

the dry ride

good boat !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the input and recommendations. I've been doing a ton of internet searching to get a feel for each line up. Next I wouldn't mind finding some of these fairly close to home to look at in person. That's what has been tough with the Pro Crafts. Can't find a dealer that has any, even used, around here.

That Nitro looks like a nice boat also. Man, even the wife has been into looking at all these different models. That means I've won half the battle so far!

Have you looked at the Stratos 386? I think it's essentially the same boat as the 1850 Reata, but without some of the finishing touches so the price is quite a bit lower. I know a guy with the Stratos 386 with a 140 hp Johnson on it and he's happy with it.

If I remember right it was a 386XF or something like that. I liked that one better than the FS (Fish-n-ski) models. They are better laid out and don't have that real long sides to the windshield. I hadn't found to many used deals yet on those. Maybe that just means people like them?!?!?

I don't think there will be anything I'm looking for but I'm going to check out the sport&boat show in Grand Rapids this weekend. See what the dealers bring in there.

I guess what I'm looking for would most likely fall under multi-species. I'm basically looking for something that gives enough room for my family of 5 and I also have really young nieces and nephews that I take out so it can't be all casting deck. I know I can't have it all but just want just enough of certain qualities. Such as good stability so I can cast for muskies in wind/chop and people can move about without the boat rocking a bunch. That's why I've been looking mostly at glass boats. Fished out some rangers this past year and what a difference. But I still need a few creature comforts for the little ones like cabin space (right term?) and a full windshield. I know it takes up space but I love my windshield in November! That's another reason why I've been looking more at 19+ mostly 20 footers is that allows me to have my casting space for muskies yet maybe have some leg room for the family.

You guys have given some great advice and insight into a number of choices. I'm thinking its just coming down to choosing a couple of models and then searching often until I find one that fits our needs and budget. Unfortunately I've been trying to stay around the $16K mark.

Thanks again everyone...