• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good deal - 2009 850XP

bikeoutback

I'm researching getting my first 4 wheeler and found a 2009 Polaris 850 XP w/EPS for around $7k. Has about 300 miles on it, hand warmers and a cargo box on the rear. I'm thinking it's a reasonable deal but not sure.... not sure I can spend that anyways but thought I would at least ask.

I'm not 100% brand loyal but do lean in favor of Polaris but that's mostly cause the guys I Know more have Polaris than others quads and all love them. I'm not sure I can trust them though since they are all Ford guys also wink

I would go over the machine with a fine tooth comb first and try to bargain them down a little more. Drive and look for any quirks that just don't seem right.

Look underneath the machine such as the fender supports handle bars or other protruding brackets from the frame to see if there's any stress cracks in the paint. It would be a sign of a machine that's been rolled over.

Make sure the handle bars are straight with the front wheels. You don't want the feeling of turning left/right while going straight. Also look at the plastic to see if there's any stressed areas. Also make sure the steering is tight with no slop in the steering action. Look for fluid/coolant leaks. Also smell the exhaust after the machine has been running for a bit to make sure it smells of burnt gas, not a sweet smell of anti-freeze.

Check the airbox for signs of mud or water and also check the oil to make sure it doesn't have a milky appearance. Polaris oil will have a bit of a gas smell to it so don't let that alarm you too much.

Thanks LEP7MM that's all good advice I'd think no matter what the machine I'm looking at whether it be 300 miles or 2000 miles although I'm sure more miles is going to show more wear. I'm still debating and first have to talk the other half into us purchasing one but there's also a lot of 500s and 700s out there with plows and other accessories I'd use. The 850 is just shiny and new with it's new fangled EPS so it caught my eye but I'm thinking maybe save a couple grand and get a plow for a machine that would fit all my needs might be smarter.

What is the general life expectancy out of a Polaris 4 wheeler? Any certain miles or hours that as a general rule they go to? It seems all over the board in the used listings so it's hard to tell.

What is the general life expectancy out of a Polaris 4 wheeler? Any certain miles or hours that as a general rule they go to? It seems all over the board in the used listings so it's hard to tell.

This is kind of a loaded question that could draw answers from both sides of the spectrum. wink

But in an unbiased opinion, take care of any machine and they'll last for thousands of miles. As with any vehicle, they require maintenance. I've seen posts of people claiming over 20K miles on a Polaris. But all we have there is one persons word. I don't doubt for a second that it's possible. Maintained properly, it will last for many years. The life expectancy is really dictated more by the person riding/maintaining it than the machine itself.

We had a customer with almost 15,000 miles on his 400 Sportsman when he passed away. We also had a customer that needed a major engine rebuild on a Sportsman 500 at 180 miles because the engine was full of mud and water. It's all about your riding style and how you take care of the machine. Customer#1 was very particular about regular service. Customer #2 probably didn't know how to use a grease gun.

As far as the 850 XP. It's a great ride with loads of power. We haven't seen any issues with them yet but then again we didn't sell a whole lot of them. They did have a couple of recalls, one was for the crankcase breather and the other was for ball joints.

Originally Posted By: fishing tech
09 850xp are $6700

09 sportsman 800 $5700

I bet that is a non ESP version XP.

The 850 is in the new XP chassis and the 09 800 sportsman is in the older chassis. Polaris still makes the 800 Sportsman for 2010 as a price point ATV if someone doesn't want to pay for the 850.