• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oil drip from lower unit - 63 Johnson

SkunkedAgain

Last fall I brought home my 1963 5.5hp Johnson Seahorse to change the impeller. It's sitting on a motor stand in my garage this winter and I noticed that there is black oil dripping down from the lower unit. Since this is a 2-stroke, can I assume that somehow this is the lower unit oil? What else could it be and is it a DIY fix or a take-it-to-the-shop fix for an average mechanic?

63Seahorse2.jpg

did you change the lower unit oil before you put it away for the winter? i would guess that possibly you got some water into your lower unit, and over the course of the winter, it froze, and possibly cracked the gearcase or busted a seal. in either case, it would possibly result in an oil drip from the lower unit

Where does the exhaust come out on the motor? If the oil is burnt or gassy smelling and its draining from below the exhaust then its just excess/unburnt 2stroke oil and nothing to worry about.

I don't believe that lower unit lube wouldn't be black if it had enough water in it to freeze and crack the housing.

Where does the exhaust come out on the motor? If the oil is burnt or gassy smelling and its draining from below the exhaust then its just excess/unburnt 2stroke oil and nothing to worry about.

I don't believe that lower unit lube wouldn't be black if it had enough water in it to freeze and crack the housing.

Cam is correct

Originally Posted By: CAMAN

Cam is correct

+3 It looks like it is dripping down from the exhaust port which is above the lower unit gear grease level. Old 2 Cyc gas will drip down from the carbs or where it was spit out by the carbs in the motor housing above.

Originally Posted By: CAMAN

Cam is correct

Agreed

I agree that it is almost certainly unburnt gas / oil.

You didn't mention, but did you change the lower unit lube before winter last year to make sure there's no water in the gear case? If not, you really should get int he habit of doing it in fall to assure there's no chance water can freeze and push seals out in the future.

marine_man