• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy an ATV

Cowhead

IM looking into getting a ATV and well so far i have found a few I like

Sportsman 500HO

Grizzly 660

Suzuki King Quad 700

I found a good Deal on a Suzuki but dont know anyone that has one

all i konw of is Grizzly and Polaris and not many people care for a Arctic cat or Kawasaki and well Honda is just to much for me to Spend so someone give me some tips on what i should get and what needs to be upgraded From stock alot say Tires and Clutch but i dont know if its needed so let me know

well i can tell u from experience don't but a grizzley the boots go out every other day on them, well polaris has sum problems but i would definitly go with polaris i've owned 500 (95 i think) 02 500 and now we got a 08 500 very nice four wheelers deliever the best job out of all of them, and the rangers we got 08 700 efi (with tracks) and 09 700 efi with out tracks extremely great machines would never change to any other type.

IMO you can't go wrong with either of the machines you've posted Cowhead. Never heard an issue specifically with any boots on the Yamahas. Any machine will lose CV boots if you're riding in the wrong area without proper protection such as A-Arm skids.

All 3 that you posted are IRS machines. The Polaris will be the heaviest of the bunch. But that isn't always a bad thing either.

Don't know where you got the idea that kawi was a bad machine! Their V-twin motor is one of the best on the market! Drive all the different machines and see what meets your needs! If I had to buy again it would be in the order of kawi, yamaha, can am, suzuki!!

Upgrades can be endless on machines......depends on the riding you do! I put different clutch springs in mine to get more low end torque mainly because i put 27" tires on mine and the springs would help to turn those tires better!!

I guarantee you that if you drive a v-twin kawi you will be impressed but go with what you like!!

For upgrades go in the order of wheels and tires, dynatek cdi, clutch springs!! The clutch springs are the cheapest upgrade that you benefit the most from to change you machine to the riding you do........you can get springs for more low end or springs to get your quad to go 80 to 90 mph!! but at 20 bucks a spring it is a cheap upgrade

Myself I am partial to Polaris, like LEP said they are probably the heaviest out of all the machines, but we own 3, a 2008 500 HO (mine), wife has a 2008 500 EFI and just newly puchased 2008 90 for our daughter. They run good and are priced lower than comparable models.

My daughters boyfriend and one of my best friends both have Yamaha 660's and they are extremely happy with those machines.

On page 2 of this ATV web page there is an article Post I started about ATV downsides, just another look at ATV's from a different side.

We all like are machines, but there is a look at what people say what may be missing on machines they own.

Looking to buy myself and would perfer a griz. Wondering when people say they dont like a brand why dont they state why. Like their Artic Cat had serious mechanical problems, or just the way they handle. Myself I would use it for food plots, getting firewood and off-road. Not really into trail riding at higher speeds, so would a cat be that bad? I have access to buy an 04 popo 700 sportsman carb,a bunch of accessories with 300mi for 4000. Havent pulled the trigger on that one because i though i needed more of a work machine. Just pickin your brains, never owned a machine and feel leary about spending a bunch and then it being not very dependable. Sorry didnt want to steal a thread.

$4000 is a little steep IMO. Even with the accessories. You can get into a new 500 class machine (carry over)for not much more than that. The plus side is you won't be buying someone's abuse they put the machine through for 6 years.

A 500 can do the same thing as a 700, only much cheaper.

I bought my 500 Sportsman 2 years ago and have had no problems and love it. As for trail riding, I don't understand why anyone would need something bigger than a 500, heck even a 400. When I drive my dad's 700 it's just WWAAYY to much torque when your manuvering tights turns and rocks!!! On the roads and straightaways its fun but other than that, it's just a big beast to handle. Good luck!!

4000 is quite a bit steep.....i would take the grizz over a popo anyday! Just wish the yamahas had a twin motor! polaris does but it is a side by side twin instead of a v-twin......there is a big power difference between the two! The grizz is one mean machine though and looks good too! Drive a twin and compare it to a single and you will feel the difference in any machine as far as response and power!!

YEah i would have liked to have gotten a Vtwin but well yesterday i took the plunge and got a 06 Suzuki King Quad 700EFI with 700miles and a winch i paid 4000 for it but it was a good deal and its a really clean machine with hardly no scratches and what not so hopefully it will be good for me i dont want that lemon