• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

XP - ie loading VERY slowly

On my older XP, whenever I start IE, it's starting to take about 20 seconds for it to start.

It completely hogs my resources for the computer as well.

Once it's loaded, everything works fairly quick.

I've already deleted all the temp internet files, cookies and history.

What am I missing?

Scanned with Malware Bytes and Kaspersky.

Are you using any add-ons?

When you right click the gray top area of your browser is there anything else other then: Menus,Favorites,Compatibility,Command and Status?

Does your browser use one of them "tools", an ASK bar, Yahoo bar, or a shopping toolbar, not one of them search areas but a whole another bar usually under your navigation area of browser.

When is it slow, always or after you first turn on the computer(is everything getting a chance to load before your trying to open browser)?

Will it let you go to google to do a search, after you've done a search are you still at google and when you click the link is it taking you to the link it says it is? If after you do a search it takes you to another search engine or the link you click on in the search results takes you somewhere other then what it said it was, odds are your infected. I'm sure you use a search everyday and would have seen this problem, but if not another suggestion.

Actually, earlier today it was as "fast" as it normally is. It's about 8 years old, so it's not even as fast as my netbook, but it wasn't taking 20 seconds to open IE like it was yesterday.

I still don't know what was going on. I didn't restart overnight or anything. It's used as a pseudo server for my business with the laptop and netbook, and stays on 24/7.

I'd stick with Firefox. I had to many problems with IE, not to mention all the open holes it has to let all the bad things in. Went from weekly virus problems, to zero since switching over.

Seeing IE is hogging your system, you definately have background things running and you are probably infected to say the least. Been down that road to many times. Nothing a good ol'wipe can't take care of, cause we all know how fun that is.

If you using it as a server of sorts, you may have other apps running that are sucking up resources and causing IE to load slowly. Not so much of an issue with beefy machine, but if it is marginal to begin with it can definitely be an issue.