• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How tall should a spear house be?

I am 5' 11" and wondering about how tall should a spear house be? Haven't built one yet, but thinking about it for next year. Spearing sounds like fun. Also I see some people having problems getting their fish houses off the lakes because they are frozen into the ice. How do you prevent this from happening. Any ideas? Thanks.

Block up your house well and you won't have a problem with it freezing in.

As far as height, make it as tall or short as you want. I would suggest making it tall enough to stand up straight in so you don't need to duck, especially in low light conditions.

My house is 4'x8', the low wall (the wall that the hole is against) is 5'6" and the high wall is 6'6".

Blocking is putting a small piece of wood under each corner. I use 2x4's about 8" long. When we got the xmas snowfall this year I had to have three blocks under each corner due to the water on top of the ice. Once everything froze solid again I moved and went down to a single block. Just remember to chisel out your blocks as you don't want to leave them behind as litter.

Blocking is putting wood scraps under the frame/skids to get it off the ice. As snow accumulates, the water will raise above the ice level when you cut your spear hole, as much as several inches. By getting your frame or skids off the ice, you prevent this from happening.

the height depends on how light and moblie you want it to be. I built mine about 6-8 inches taller than myself more than enough to stand up in . I also like to keep the bottom of the door about 12 inches up from the floor because then you can bank your house with snow and not worry about the door closeing.

I made mine just tall enough (6'2") so i could stand up. It seems to work out fine that way.

My house is a portable and I wanted it to fit in the back of my pickup. I plan on building a perm house and I might add a couple inches to it.

Just make sure that there is enough room to stand the spear up straight inside the house with at least a little room to move it that way. I missed a fish this season because the roof was too low and I hit the ceiling with my spear and my shot was off.