• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wireless printer?

Big Dave2

I have wireless high-speed internet through our cable provider. We have a Linksis "N" router.

Is there any way to link my laptop computer wirelessly to my printer?

If so, and you choose to try to explain it to me please keep in mind that I am an i d i o t when it comes to technology!

A lot of wireless routers also have a USB port. Check that and just plug your printer in there if you it has one. I *HIGHLY* recommend the Apple Time Machine series of routers. Mine is a wireless router, 500GB wireless hard drive, and also has a USB port for plugging in a printer. It automatically backs up all my computers, and I never have to even touch it!

Do you want to put this printer somewhere in a remote location, or just be able to print from multiple computers on the network?

If you can connect it to a computer on the network, then you just use Printer sharing which is very easy.

If you want to put it somewhere that you cannot connect it to a PC or Laptop, then you will have to either buy a wireless printer, or a wireless print server.

The print server is a little harder to setup, but works well. It will become a separate device on the network and have it's on IP address.

Not multiple computers, I just don't want to have to go hook up my laptop to my printer every time I want to print.

Sounds like there are some good suggestions here. Now it's just a matter of whether or not I can figure out how to actually do it!

Go to your favorite electronics store or HSOforum. There are MANY good $99 printers that are wireless now. You just put them in a corner, plug them in and they find your network and wha-la, you're good to go. No connections.

I have one upstairs that I use.

I have it set up where I can access my desktop downstairs (server) with the laptop to do company paperwork, and then the desktop is wirelessly hooked to the printer upstairs next to the bed so I can print without having to go downstairs.

The wife loves it when I accidently hit "print" at 1-2 am. grin

I have an HP that has 2 paper trays, so I can have blank paper in one tray, and then either checks or envelopes in the other, depending on whether I'm performing the accounts receivables tasks, or the accounts payables tasks. It's also a scanner, fax, and 2 sided printer.

2 years ago it was $450. I seen one in BB the other day for $189. Makes a guy sick sometimes.

Linksys Wireless-G PrintServer WPS54G Print server - Hi-Speed USB

The above device $39 on the web plugs into your current printer, then wirelessly or wired connects to your network. Then is is available to all the PCs/laptops on your internal network. This one and most come with software to install on you PC/laptop to make it easy to connect to it.

There are others too, but this one was the cheapest close to the top of the list.