• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tell me about quality of spears

leakywaders

Hey guys,

I've never speared, but my dad's been doing it for a long time and my brother is starting to get into it.

Dad has two old spears and my brother always borrows one. He's looked around at Gander and what not, but those spears seemed kind of junky...not that we're experts, but they just don't trip the trigger.

So, I was wondering if any of you could give advice on where to get a good spear, what to look for in a good spear, what a guy should expect to pay, etc...

And what about antique stores or flea markets? Any bargains on old stuff out there?

Thanks.

leakywaders

Yeah, the "good barbs" comment really got me. It seems that the barbs on all the spears we've looked are pretty crappy and poorly done.

I looked at one locally made spear and some of the barbs are curled over. Some seem to be "cut" right, but some just look hacked out and/or are curled at the end.

leakywaders

The ones that I have saw the last few years in the "big" stores sure do look like junk. I bought one from double f about five years ago that I though looked ok just for a spare and after using it, I wouldn't trust it for anything over a pound and a half northern. There is a guy that I fish with that makes them himself and sells them for a pretty reasonable price. I have one and am very happy with it. If you are interested, shoot him an email. fisherking01 at yahoo dot com. There is a pic of one of his spears under the darkhouse photos on pg 10 i think. good luck

Mine is a 7 tine. They are just round tines sharpened to a point. They made the bard by making an angled cut on the tine then bending the cut part down some. I heated the barbs up and increased their angle a little when I got it. At the time it was all I could afford. I'm used to it but I would like to get a really nice hand made spear sometime.

Just like guns there are many "opinions" on good spears.

It all really boils down to personal preference.

For the most part there are heavy spears and light spears.

However; heavy or light does not matter as much as a properly balanced spear.

Heavy spears do not have to be thrown as hard as light spears but properly balanced both "fly" straight.

Some Laser or Plasma cut spears that have a lot of metal above the tines will plane out when thown at an angle.

The extra weight helps when spearing "straight down" however.

Older style Forged Wrought Iron spears are weighted nice and fly good. If your name is Elwood you can find these at garage sales in the summer for little or nothing. wink Everyone else has to pay for them laugh One like Elwoods just went on an online auction site for $75 + $16 shipping.

Much more than the price of a good quality spear is the lead time. Many times you have to wait months for some of the more collectable spears.

You can expect to pay $50 to $1000 for a spear.

However $300 to $400 will get you a VERY nice spear.

There are spear makers at many of the decoy shows with very nice spears in stock.

If I were looking for a good quality spear that is one place I would check out before buying one.

One thing is for sure if you want quality, you will pay for it!!

But as an investement of a lifetime (or several lifetimes) it is well worth it.

This informational HSOforum will give you some ideas of different spears and the people who made them.

http://www.fishdecoys.net/pages/spearbios/SpearBios.htm

Jeremy-K-spear-1.jpg

Mine is a 7 tine. They are just round tines sharpened to a point. They made the bard by making an angled cut on the tine then bending the cut part down some. I heated the barbs up and increased their angle a little when I got it. At the time it was all I could afford. I'm used to it but I would like to get a really nice hand made spear sometime.

If you like the spear, have barbs put on it. cut barbs hold well when new, spear a bunch of fish and they wear and break readily. If you want to get the fish of a lifetime, be prepared with quality barbs. Sharp tines (needle sharp) and barbs are priceless!!

There will be a variety of spears at the Alexandria decoy show (Rudy Zweig) on march 6 2010, probably from 65 - 400 dollar range, possibly much more.

Dave Pawlak from St. Clair MI makes the best laser cut spear heads that I know of. Do a search under his name and I am sure you will get a link to his HSOforum. He has a lot of nice pictures of his spears and out on the lake.

These spears are relatively light compared to others, but they do fly straight and have great barb work. You can order different weights as well. Reasonable price too.

By the way the spear in BNS's avitar picture is by Dave Pawlak.

BnS n I were talking about spears a lil bit at the GTG and I agree with him, Laser cut is the way to go imo, because I just recently got an amish spear and it performs a lil less than my lazer cut, that goes for throwing and for holding fish, For me I like a heavier spear, most guys would say a laser cut would sail but the fact is you throw it hard enough it wont sail, and I just have a $70 lazer and I have taken some fish at some pretty fierce angles without a problem but I do throw pretty hard, I like to knock the fish out from impact even if I dont hit the sweet spot but thats just me, just make sure the tines are sharp and you shouldnt have a problem. If you try a lazer cut and throw it at an angle make sure you have some speed behind it, like I do and its just fine!

I agree with what you are saying about having to throw the laser cut spears a bit harder compared to the Amish or other spears with the turned weighted center design (like the Kreamer spear in Merks post). Both will fly straight, but you have to get used to two different types of release. I have found that with the Kraemers you have to be a bit more set and ready when the fish come in so you can get a real clean release. Due to their greater weight it is a little easier to "double clutch" on the relaase which can throw things off a bit.

I am doing some extensive testing with a Pawlak spear right now, and since getting used to it I trust my reliability down to about 8 feet. I think this spear is easier for me to grab, line-up and throw a bit more off hand (like when you are standing, stretching, eating, etc. and a fish you want to take suddenly shows up). The angled shots have been fine for me with it. Interestingly it is the exact length, width and weight of my Brainerd spear.

If I am trying to hit fish any deeper or farther out that 8 feet or so, I prefer the Kraemers or my Moening spear. They seem straighter and more true all the way to the bottom when you are are set up deep, or when the fish won't come in high.

I prefer the Kraemers or my Moening spear.

I second that.

I had the opportunity to see a few Pawlak's spears a few weeks ago and while they were nice that laser cutting just doesn't do it for me. I just picked up a nice old blacksmith's style spear I really like.

By the way ER is was in your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago and witnessed a couple REALLY nice fish. How have you been doing this year?

Sounds good spearhead!

Hey give me a call sometime at 952-334-3397 to compare a few notes.

I am off at 3:30 today; and in the darkhouse tomorrow afternoon from about 1:30 to 4:30 to check on fish movement before I pull it off for the year.

Heading east with one of the portables on Saturday.

I would have toagree with spearhead and for me the laxer cut just isnt what I would like they look nice but I dont think they feel fight in my hands. I like old school spears as merk has stated and I have made a few spears myself that are great spears bvut theres always room for improvement.

A Quality spear is what you say it is and by this I mean I have seen guys with homemade spears that they love cause they made them but they are just that homemade as were the spears of the old days. The spear that I started useing was made by my father and a buddy that was a machinist in the early 50's and it is a very well balanced spear and needs a little more of a throw than amish spears. This spear has taken alot of pike to the table and one on the wall for me as well as my father.

The spear that I'm currently useing was made in the 1940's by Milton Belts a spear maker from Grand Rapids MN it is a square 6 tine spear that is hand forged and I was told what it was and should retire it to a collection but I had to throw it at least once before that and I'll tell you that this is by far the nicest spear I have thrown and still continue to use it.

I'm thinking of strating to build a few spears on this style but with my own twist to it as I have said there is always room for improvement on any thing that is out there.

So A Quality spear you ask well thats up for you to decide on witch quality you want and there alot of spears out there to choose from.

Good luck in what ever you choose

Great info. Thanks.

I've read some of the links and understand a little more about spear construction, too.

I'd like to get my brother a spear as a gift, but I'd definitely have to keep it under $100, which seems to limit my choices quite a bit.

What do the Amish spears go for? And where can I get/see one?

Thanks again.

Brian

they run anywhere from $105.00-$185.00 steel and stainless steel.

There are some look alikes also the run around $65-$85

check out G mountain or the big C store or some local bait stores also look on the popular e selling site and also c list

I just needed to mention the Dillo spear made by Dillo Hinnenkamp from Melrose who made spears for years in the 50's and whose legacy was continued by Moening after Dillo's death.My spear has "The Dillo by Moening" engraved on the handle and I have no complaints and am in love with my spear. I just wanted Dillo to get Honorable Mention.

Dillo and Joe June (his colleague in spear design) deserve recognition for the inspiration they have provided for their contemporaries: Lee Moening, Jeremy Kraemer and now Michael Fabeck.

Before Dillo and June, Wendell Pimple from Melrose was making very good spears with a weighted center, wedge key design and classic barb work.

Whatever your favorite, make the effort to keep it sharp, this can not be replaced with any other aspect! As with anything, practice and time are the factors that apply most to the ART of spearing! Get ready, November 15th will be here in no time!! Ask 100 veteran spearfishermen and you will get 100 different opinions on which spear is best, and hopefully you will be number 101 on that list to add to the opinion list!! Wishing you the best over the next few months, and hoping you are ready to cut some holes come November!

You seem to have insite in about spears of the area is anyone familiar with a spear made by Mike Hooney from the Melrose area? I beleive I have his name right he made just a few but what a spear. I'd travel the world to get my hands on one.