• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1997 XLT Special

vman11

Hey guys -

I'm a newb when it comes to sleds so I'm looking for some basic info. I just bought a 97 XLT Special with 2900 miles from a reliable buddy.

Everything runs good and the 600 absolutely rips! Is there anything I should be concerned about or should look into regarding PM regarding this sled? I've heard bad things about the triples.

The sled is going to be a work horse - pulling my portable around as I don't plan on racing/jumping the thing.

I think I'm going to look into new/recharging the front and rear shocks as I don't think they've had any attention ever.

Any info is good info- let me know.

if your just pulling a fish house around i prolly wouldnt even mess with the front shocks seeing you prolly wont go over 20mph... id say keeping the carbs and fuel system clean would be a good thing to keep a eye on... ive heard all kinds of horrer stories about the triples but i have friends with them that have had zero problems with them with over 9,000 miles just seems like keeping up on maintiance is the main thing

My 95 is stock and original yet other than maybe some clutch work, with over 5000 and counting. You gotta go open it up those old tripples flat out fly. It will surprize many a new 700-800 sled. Shut the gas off between rides they do have a tendancy to leak through the carbs. Many of these sleds of that vintage running around this area yet, I wouldn't mind a second just for giggles.

Vman .. Most of the bad things you will hear about are when guys try to put pipes on.. I would leave that motor stock and maybe do some clutching and stud her up.. I have personally owned 3 XLT's-and still own 2 to this day.. The one I got rid had only one issue,, my kid piled it into a post.. stripped her down sold a few parts left motor intact and sold that to another buddy for a project sled he had.. Stay on top of the carb work each year is the biggest tip. And if you are pulling a fish house with it ,, do as Esox said and after each trip teke her out and open her up..I used mine the same way and they do tend to load up running slower speeds.

If You and Esox would like ,, post your email and I will send you both a Zip file that is huge , since it covers all Polaris selds from 96 to 98.It Is the complete service manual. Other than that ,, if ya really waht to make that triple fly.. look up a post I made on here about a clutching trick.. and with it Zsox, I have run down many 700/800 sleds and even out ran a few of them ,, You will get many funny looks from guys when that little 580 goes by.

cementhead21 - all the information you have is appreciated!

I don't plan on doing anything crazy with it. I need a good runner with power to run back and forth 25 miles to the islands on LOTW. I will have no problem opening it up here or there smile

Send the file to [email protected]

Thanks in advance!

196 studs in mine she pulls hard all the way to top end, just came back from a short ride testing out my new bibs and had the spedo up to 105 and she was still pulling, surprised a pair of yammi sx 700's on the way out to grin Gotta give them credit they tried.

I got the manual thanks for the offer.

I had an XLT Special it was a great sled. If I remember correctly the actual top speed that I read in a magazine when it was snowmobile of the year is 93-95 mph. Add the weight of a couple hundred studs and over 5,000 miles that number would come down. Had mine at 100+ on the dream-o-meter plenty of times as well but you are correct Hydro the speedo's are quite a bit off.

My 2000 Yamaha SX700R would destroy the xlt esox. I had that one reading 100+ a few times as well and the speedo wasn't lying!! As an owner of both machines trust me if those guys had been trying you would have been reading a Yamaha snow flap. smile

Do you have problems with fouling or loading up on the plugs? Does the motor spend a lot of time idling? If so, the 8's would be a good choice as they are a "hotter" design and tend to be more resistant to oil fouling. Otherwise the 9's are a good all around choice.