• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size trolling motor?

Sergio M

Last year I bought a LUND TYEE 1650 and it had a 42LB power drive cable trolling motor. The trolling motor is too small for this boat. What size trolling motor you guys think will work for this boat? I have three batteries in the boat one for big motor and two for trolling motor, so a 24V is not a problem. I like to fish bass, walleyes and panfish. I also need to get an onboard charge, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Sergio

I have a fish and ski 1650 Lowe. 50 lbs minnkota powerdirve V2. I run it off a single group 27-12 volt AGM battery with a ProSport II 6. That will last me a full weekend of use without recharging. Would like to have gotten the 55lbs trolling motor but have not had any problems with the 50, even in high winds and river current (two full men in boat). I think 55lbs would be more then enough for your boat but wouldn't go less then 50.

I have a 17.5' crestliner and I was talked into a 42lb when I bought it. It was not near enough. I found you take what they recommend and double it and you will be good.

I now have a 80lb terrova and at times I could use a bit more but in 99% of the time it plenty.

I'd say the 70lb v2 or the 80lb terrova would be best for your boat.

I got a 1850 crestliner with a 65 lb thrust minnkota 24v. Its got plenty of power in the heavy wind and current conditions or both when on the river. Never had problem going the weekend without recharging. As for onboard chargers i just went to cabelas and told them what i had and they set me all up. now when i get home just plug her in until next time i get out.

A 55 lb trolling motor would get the job done in many situations, but since you already have the batteries for 24 volt I would really suggest a 70 lb PowerDrive or 80 lb Terrova . They will get the job done in every situation for you. Both models have the battery maximizer on them.

For on-board chargers , I like Dual Pro and Minn Kota. Both are good chargers, both have a good repuation, and I have Dual Pro in my own boat. The most important thing is to get 1 bank for each battery you have, and after that you can decide how many amps you want (more amps = faster recharging and more money).

I'm sort of in the same situation. Bought a used boat and has a 36lbs front mount. To small except for calm conditions.

Did some research and many say aprox 5 lbs of thrust for every 200lbs of boat and gear. Would cover average use. But not extreme use.