• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First time spearing

FishingPops

Hi all,

I have never even been inside a spear house and my 13 yo talked me into taking him spearing this Sunday. We rented a house and a spear and the guide said he would set us up and show us what to do. He said all we need to bring is a decoy sucker, he will have anything else we need. He also said to bring a few tip ups to set up outside-that I have done before a couple times so I should be okay.

Anyway, I am looking for pointers for a first timer smile

Thanks,

FishingPops

Don't get too excited most of the time the fish will hang around for a while, lower spear into the water prior to taking the shot, AIM BEHIND THE HEAD,throw spear with the same acuracy and force like shooting at a break on a rack of pool balls and oh yes did I mention take good aim.

good point sunny.

Always make sure when your going to throw the spear that you put 1/3 of it in the water, this way then it comes to throwing it, it wont make a big splash in the water.

Make sure you dont over throw, the harder you throw, the more likly you will miss. I always remind myself before i throw to throw it hard, but not over throw.

Being your a newbie at this, fish will look bigger then they are in the water.

If you have a heavier spear and it is a smaller fish, no throwing is necessary, just put the head all the way into the water and drop it if the fish is right under you.

A good shot behind the head is the best advice. And patience. You never know when one is coming in.

If you are planning on chasing tip ups as well, be sure to minimize the in/out time and only crack the window cover enough to see if the flag is up or not as you don't want to spook a fish that may be eyeing your decoy just out of sight.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

How critical is it to be quiet?

How close do you get the spear to the fish before you throw it?

How far under the ice do you put the decoy?

How big of a decoy do you use this time of year?

I am just hoping we see at least some fish and my son gets a chance to throw the spear.

Thanks,

FishingPops

well when I 'm by myself its all ways quiet but I think you should be alright talking just no danceing or sing loudly grin

I have droped my spear down as close as 2-3 inches from the pikes head before I throw. When your dropping it over the pikes head do it slowly asnot to spook the fish and watch the fish closely for signs of it going to spook .its not so much of a throw as it is a thrust for the spear and sometimes I dont evn let go of the spear but thats only if the pike is really close.

Your guide will be able to let you know where the pike are running on the lake you will be spearing but I typically start at around 1 fooot under the ice then drop down as I see fit I ussally dont let the decoy down much farther than 5-6 foot down

decoy size is a and can be a big debate I like decoys at least 12 inches long or longer and there again if you ask the guide in advance he may give you some insight on size for the lake your on.

Paitence is very important its alot like deer hunting you can look in one direction or at the same place all day long and look away only for a moment and Bam there it is a pike stareing at your decoy

MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE TIME WITH YOUR SON

Good luck and we would like to hear some of the details of the trip after wards

Well, here is what happened.

We had the house from 8 am until 2 pm. We got there and went over things with the guide. Then we sat and waited, and waited and waited.... nothing-just a few small sunfish. My son hung in there pretty good. Around noon he sat in the truck to watch the tip ups and listen to music. Finally around 1 pm I saw a small 20-22" northern under the ice off to the edge. I got my son and he was pumped. We got back in the house and it took a few seconds for our eyes to adjust. I couldn't see it, but my son spotted it. It was down about 6-7' under the ice and off to the side eyeing out sucker. We watched it for a while and it didn't move much. Then it turned and was facing away and looked like it was leaving. My son kept asking me what he should do but I didn't know since I have never speared before. Anyway, when we thought it was going to leave he took a shot and hit it about halfway down the back! But the spear/fish went into the weeds and when he was pulling it back the fish came off. Then we saw it sitting on the bottom under us and he speared it again and it went into the weeds again. This time it got lost in the weeds and we couldn't find it again frown

I was exciting seeing a fish and we plan on giving it a try again. Thanks for all the tips. Anything we could have done different when the spear went into the weeds?

We talked to another spearer nearby and he didn't see much either. He had been on the spot a few times and said he usually sees 5+ fish per outing.

Anyway it was good father/son time smile

FishingPops

Good to hear Fishin Pops. As far as the fish coming off, I can only say that a sharper spear with better barbs would have probably held it on pulling it through the weeds. Other than that, I hope you guys enjoyed it, and it might be a new tradition for you and your son.

As far as the fish coming off, I can only say that a sharper spear with better barbs would have probably held it on pulling it through the weeds.

+1

Also if it is a lighter spear a little bit harder toss will help too.

We owe it to the fish to make sure we are using sharp spears with good barbs and that we do our best to make sure every time we do decide to thow that it is a clean kill shot.

Having said that, things like this do happen, the best we can do is learn from it. You asking the question here will do that very thing.

Don't let it stop you from spearing in the future, next time it will work out good.

Thanks for all the info. My son felt pretty bad about the fish. I will have him read all posts. Sounds like it happens from time to time. I know when we release fish caught with a rod and reel some don't make it. It is just we don't know about it.

We still had a good time and he wants to try it again next year smile

FishingPops

Time well spent took my daughter out this year for her first time ever. She got to throw the spear once we to saw only few fish but looking down a spear hole is something every one should try at least one time. So cool my daughter thought to see the pike come after her decoy. She to got board looking down the hole only thing that helped was the size of the hole we were in a 8x12 house hole was 2x8 I even thought it was cool could really see all around. Better than the 2x2 hole grandpa had when he took me.