• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling motor ?

keyks42

I have a couple of Questions regarding trolling motors. The boat I have is a 2004 Crestliner 1700 Superhawk and the trolling motor I have is a 55 thrust minnekota.I fish alot of big water, Mille Lacs, Red lake. I was wondering if I upgrade to a 70pd Minnkota will I be getting that much more power then I already have or do I need to go even bigger. I also plan on putting a 24volt charger on the boat so I have two batteries running the trolling motor instead of the one I have right know. If I do upgrade the trolling motor how much is my old trolling motor worth?

Thanks for the help

Mark

keyks42, How much do you use your trolling motor? Obviously going to 2 batteries is going to give you more time on the water but I couldn't tell you how much more noticable power you will see. I would max the power if you can afford it and only if you use the trolling motor a good deal. When I use to Walleye fish exclusively I used the trolling motor all the time following breaks and vertical jigging. Now as a bass fisherman I use it even more and need the max power I can get.

I would think if you can get a 80 pound thrust go for it especially if you are fishing big, windy water.

80lbs will give you alot of power i have terrova 80

but mine is a bow mount but its on a 20 ft glass boat

but it does a good job in rough seas on winnie and mille lacs

but if you are back trolling i would think on rough water you could use the main motor not sure what you have

Upgrading to the 70 pound thrust trolling motor should be just fine for your boat... 55 pounds will do it all right, but when the wind picks up if you prefer to keep using your trolling motor and not your big motor then I'd upgrade to the 70 lb.

What kind of 55 lb trolling motor is it? Power Drive or Auto Pilot? That'll make a difference on what the old one is worth.

marine_man

I agree, going from a 55 lb 12 volt motor to a 70 or 80 lb 24 volt motor is going to make a noticable difference. For one thing, you have the additional lbs of thrust -- for another thing, you are going from a 12 volt system to a more efficient 24 volt system --- you're adding another battery but you're more than doubling your run time.

Since you said you fish big lakes a lot, I think the move to 24 volts would be a good move.

To go bigger than 70/80 lbs and 24 volts, you need to move up to a 3-battery 36 volt motor.

I agree, going from a 55 lb 12 volt motor to a 70 or 80 lb 24 volt motor is going to make a noticable difference. For one thing, you have the additional lbs of thrust -- for another thing, you are going from a 12 volt system to a more efficient 24 volt system --- you're adding another battery but you're more than doubling your run time.

Since you said you fish big lakes a lot, I think the move to 24 volts would be a good move.

To go bigger than 70/80 lbs and 24 volts, you need to move up to a 3-battery 36 volt motor.

Sort of. The run time will increase without a doubt but not because 24v is more efficient. Because you'll be using two batteries you'll have doubled (assuming two the same) your capacity, which in turn will increase your run time. Unfortunately, the 70pd motor will consume more power per time increment so some of the added capacity will be offset by the extra power draw. I would doubt you would even double your run time much less more than double it but it will increase for sure.

I'm not sure of the motor spec's with regard to efficiency but my guess would be that the difference would be minimal at best. When a motor is wired for 24v vs. 12v the current demand will be cut in half to produce the same constant power output. The battery delivers power not just current and a battery's capacity is its power capacity not current capacity. Two 1hp motors rated with the same efficiency and driving the same load, one wired and supplied with 12v and the other wired and supplied with 24v will consume the same power over the same time period.

I have a couple of Questions regarding trolling motors. The boat I have is a 2004 Crestliner 1700 Superhawk and the trolling motor I have is a 55 thrust minnekota.I fish alot of big water, Mille Lacs, Red lake. I was wondering if I upgrade to a 70pd Minnkota will I be getting that much more power then I already have or do I need to go even bigger. I also plan on putting a 24volt charger on the boat so I have two batteries running the trolling motor instead of the one I have right know. If I do upgrade the trolling motor how much is my old trolling motor worth?

Thanks for the help

Mark

I went from a 55# 12 volt to a 70# 24 volt and it was a big difference. I run a 17' Lund Explorer and can troll all day long and stay in current better or fight wind better. Get the Auto pilot and Co pilot if you can and you will be very glad you did.