• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fighting in college hockey.

cbrooks

What do you guys think if college hockey changed its stance on fighting to just a 5minute major from if you get in one fight its one game. second fight I think its two games and third your done for the season. They do this in the pros and it seems to keep the peace for the most part. I'll admitt I do like that aspect of the game. Any opinions?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sioux fan?... grin J/K.

Highly unlikely it will ever change..but I wish they would have let Marvin and Lammy go when they dropped the gloves and helmets last-night instead of breaking it up so quickly....May be then we would have had some closure on the Marvin, Genoway cheap-shot incident..

Nice jab. Keep them above the belt LOL. Its all good Pier. Watching that game last night between the UND and SCSU it kind of got ulgy towards the end of the game. I just think if the refs let the players fight you will see less cheap shots on players. Your absolutly right they should have let them fight. I'm sure there others instances had similar situation like this. I would like to see something change in the rules of fighting but who knows.

That was a terrible game last night for SCSU, total embarassment. Have to give it to the Sioux though, they looked really good this weekend. If you are the huskies, I guess you got to look at it as a loss is the same no matter if you lose by 1 or 7.

Gophers sure are having a tough year, got swept again. It's been a while since I remember them struggling this much. I think Denver is the team to beat right now though, they look really good.

As for fighting, I don't know. I think it's fine if they wrestle or whatever, but when you take gloves and helmets off, that should stay out of college hockey IMO.

Well to bring up the game last night. I think the refs blew it by not letting Marvin and Lammy go at it. They jump in there just as they drop there gloves and they both wanted a peice of each other it was as good as done. Instead the rest of the game you had that jack in the box from Ben Blood on Marvin , Hexstal calling out #17 everytime he skated by the bench. I don't even think Marvin played the final 5 minutes of the game. I think the next time these two teams play each other (which could be the first round of the playoff) there will be more of the same. I say let them fight. let the players police themselves it can work IMO.

The problem with fighting in college is alot of times you get one player that wants nothing to do with the fight. The liability is through the roof for fights in college as well. I think they have to give the option of no masks or at least half shields, however then fighting needs to happen, because without fighting there is no way to enforce the high-sticking.

Another thing is, if there are no masks the Sioux will just get that many more cheep penalties, hahaha.

Since we are on this topic, how boring was the most heated rivalry in college hockey this year, Gophs Sioux? I darn near though they were going to start hugging in the last 2 games.

It must be that the sioux finally had to go against some bigger guys or something. Barribal wasnt out there for them to pick on. Although i did see them going after Cepis - who does ask for it though. Man the sioux love going after little guys though.

Darn it [pleasebecomeasponsor] you had to bring up those games. Well I can tell your a true Gopher fan whining about the Sioux not being nice JK. I don't know if they were all that boring I thought Kangas played really good. Hay, what do you mean the Sioux go after the little guys. Just about everybody on that Gopher team is little. Hopefully next year that series will deliver a little more. Both programs are in a simular position as far as underarcheiving. Go Sioux.

HAHA, i knew you would like that Brooks. The one game was good. It was the only time i would say Kangas won a game for the Gophs.

It jutt didnt have the emotion and srappyness that these teams usually give.

I wonder if Boogaard has another brother, if so look for the sioux to offer him a scholarship so they can get tough again. Thats just too funny.

Yeah you don't alot of the guys that use to come on here anymore. Its nice to see some threads on college hockey even if it isn't about my team. With the frozen five coming up there's a good choice never UND or the Gorphers going. That would be the first in awhile. I'll still watch either way.

It is nice getting a little chit chat going. I think the Sioux will actually win a few games and be a contender in the Frozen 5 coming up. It is just such a lost opportunity since the goph arent going to do anything, and if the sioux dont sack up, with the regional being at the xcel this year.

That is a lost opportunity. I didn't know the xcel was hosting. The way I see it once the UND is done I still pull for all the teams representing the WCHA except for Denver. I even find myself pulling for the gophs(I'm probably gonna regret posting this:). I hope your right with the Sioux winning a few games. I don't want to make a prediction quite yet. Yeah [pleasebecomeasponsor] it is nice doing trash talking.

Thats the way i look at cheering too. I do Gophs and then whoever in MN i think is the next best. I somehow cheer for the Sioux after them. Only because they have some good MN players like the Moorhead guys and guys like Oshie. I dislike Denver and Wis and cheer for them if no other WCHA teams are around.

Stinking Sioux, makes me sick to speak of them positively. I am going to go puke real quick, and then go watch my Back 2 Back Gopher DVD.

I think it was the 1 to 1 tie against the gophs.

Hakstol, I used to hate the guy. He has a cabin/house on the same lake that i do in N-MN and i see him pretty often up there throughout the summer. He used to be a jerk, but he is getting pretty nice now. He was actually a little chatty the last time i ran into him. Decent golfer too, I guess.

The gopher fans can bring up the back to back all they want but remember who the star was on those teams? A kid from ND. Also - which team has won more national championships?

UND - 7

Minnesota - 5

Keep up the trash talking, it is fun to read.

I have been a Sioux fan my whole life and now have to split loyalties between BSU and UND. I will never cheer for the gophers unless they are playing in the frozen four against a team from another league. Then and only then will I actually cheer for the gophers.

I agree, fighting should be allowed.

There are way too many kids running around with all of the protective gear looking for the big hit. Some kids are looking for big hits more than looking to score and it is changing the game in a bad way IMO. If the college players had to deal with the consequences of making huge highlight reel hits then we wouldn't see as many. It all trickles down into youth hockey and the number of concussions every year in youth hockey is growing out of control.