• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ANY WOOD-STRIP CANOE MAKERS OUT THERE?

I was wondering if any of you have made or know someone who has made a wood-strip canoe? It's a project I have thought about for awhile now and thinking of starting one soon. What are some good books out there and places to purchase the right supplies.

Any help would be GREAT!!!

Thanks,

Shane

Shane,

Canoecraft by Ted Moores is an excellent book. It takes you from start to finish with illustrations all the way through the process of building wood-strip canoes. As a longtime woodworker/carpenter, I flirted with the idea of getting into the business about 10 years ago. I eventually decided not to, but I hung onto the book after reading several others as well, because I think it's the best one.

Shane....

Look up both the MN Canoe Association and Northwest Canoe on the web. A lot of local info there.

Have fun and good luck with your project. Post up some pics when you are done, I always enjoy a pic of a well built, pretty stripper. smile

Also with the MN Canoe Association you can meet up with them and paddle a few different types of canoes, ask Q's and talk to other builders. They always have get togthers open to who ever. Or they don't mind anyway. If you become a member I think you can get discounts on materials, such as the fiber glass kit which is the highest cost to building one. Good luck man, I bought a plan last year form bear creek, plan on starting mine this spring. Will try to keep you posted.