• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Benelli ComfortTech Question

I am thinking of getting a Benelli M2 for my son and talked to a guy in the gun dept of Gander yesterday. He said to try and shoot one first since he and another guy in the gun dept would bruise their cheek when shooting one. He said the ComfortTech dampens the side-to-side vibration of the gun except for the top of the stock near the shooter's cheek. I know it depends on how low the face is on the gun. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The comfortTech system is simply a series of cutouts in the stock filled with rubber inserts that allow the stock to flex and spread recoil over a longer time, thus making it a reduced feeling to the shooter. It is also designed to help with the balance which translates into a smoother shot. If you watch their promos you can see it working on the slow motion shots. As far a bruising your cheek, I would venture to guess that these "sales people" could use a good lesson in gun fitting and shooting fundamentals, its amazing how biased some can be. If you have a good cheek/stock weld you certainly may feel a bit of soreness in your cheek after a days shooting, its the nature of the beast, the recoil is always going to be there. The average stock is made for a person of about 5'9" and 165-175 pounds, if you compare a typical mass produced stock to a custom fit, or even high end gun that is designed to do a lot of shooting, ie trap, skeet or other competition you will notice that the comb, or top, of the stocks carry different angles. Most mass produced pitch down toward the butt, which pushes the comb into the face, whereas a fitted gun will have a comb that rises a bit or is level, pushing the stock back and away or staying level to the face. The Benelli has a number of adjustable settings built into it for people of different measurements and is really a smooth shooting gun to start with, if you stick to the fundamentals of shooting, solid mount, good cheek weld, overall good fit, you will be OK. You will also find that the type of shooting you are doing can have an effect, upland or clay shooting will typically have a flatter hold and stance, where as waterfowling will have more overhead shots, kicking the gun into you a bit more. If the gun is for your son, depending on his age and size, you may find that spending a little time with a competent gunsmith and doing some fitting will make a world of difference in his shooting enjoyment and accuracy.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm interested in the M2 for my son is I have been shooting an M1 Super 90 since 1996. I did adjust the shim on mine one increment to get the point of impact right. The last 2 days in North Dakota last fall I let him shoot it. He shot very well with it. In fact the very first bird he pulled up on was a 35-yard one shot kill of a passing drake bluebill. You should have seen the smile on his face. I figured the M2 replaced the M1 so I would think it is pretty much the same gun with the ComfortTech, Cryo barrel, etc.

I own a sbe 11, so im not biased but i think that comfort tech stock is just hype , launch a three and a half inch no 4 turkey load out of it once and then tell me what you think ,it threw my neck out for about a week, definatly not worth the punishment , no chump either ,concrete worker for 28 years and in decent shape to .