• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on Apple's IPAD?

simple1

I think its a cool idea, but needed to be executed better. I am sure that will happen as new versions come out. Its pretty limited in its capabilities (processing/memory/no Flash support/etc....). 16GB is a joke.

However it is a good form factor, is lightweight, and has good battery life. Yes it is a large iPod Touch, but because of the screen size, it makes it alot more usable for the average person for web browsing and as an eReader. That's about the extent of it, other than its apps, which are already available on all the other Apple products.

My wife thought it was really cool when she saw it on the news last night, however I will wait a while and see what the later generations evolve into.

Would be cool if it narrated text, most IT books come with digital copies on CD. Like an audio CD that reads to you as you drive. It would save a ton of time behind the hard copy. At least for me I spend about12hrs a week behind the wheel back and forth to work.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a netbook that was loaded up on goodies. Im pretty sure that you could get a really decent one for what they want for the price of the base of the iPad. For that matter you could get into a mid range laptop for that kind of price.

IDK, it seems kind of unnecessary to me. So you got internet on your phone, netbooks, laptops, and now this? I just don't see the need for it. It seems to me like it would also be awkward to handle and fragile, not a good combo.

Im not a apple hater at all (the iPod and iPhone are both great IMO) but I think it might be a fail.

This product really does not offer much that other common and cheaper technologies offer. I mean a phone (which most people need anyways) and a netbook would prove far more useful to most people for a lot less cash. It doesn't even look all that great for an Apple product, the bezel is gigantic.

I will keep my Ipod Touch, fits into shirt pocket easily and it goes where ever I go. So simple. The Ipad is just another E-Reader

wanna-be and will have only a niche market to cater to.

Wife wants one those Barnes & Nobles Nook E-Readers, but the price

and availability are still issues. One thing I like it is the fact

the 3G network required to DL books is free with the E-Reader Nook.

I think it's cool how close certain technologies are coming together, but in different industries. I.E. Think about combining your lowrance fishfinder/GPS with the apple iPad? Similar in size, multicolor. The iPhone already has the navionics application, all it needs now is a sonar application that runs off of a ducer you connect via USB port. All of the sudden, you get rid of your lowrance and you just use your ipad.

Alright, I am sure I am skipping over a few hundred technical aspects here, but you see my point.

I think it's cool how close certain technologies are coming together, but in different industries. I.E. Think about combining your lowrance fishfinder/GPS with the apple iPad? Similar in size, multicolor. The iPhone already has the navionics application, all it needs now is a sonar application that runs off of a ducer you connect via USB port. All of the sudden, you get rid of your lowrance and you just use your ipad.

Alright, I am sure I am skipping over a few hundred technical aspects here, but you see my point.

It sounds simple in theory but without knowledge of the handshakes and such that occur in the transducer/unit signaling it would be nearly impossible to simply add something versatile like a laptop to the network. That's proprietary information and it'll stay that way so you have to buy only their products.

It is true though if fish finders used any sort of IEEE standard, you could do such things. But that would make something like an 1197ci (~$2000) worthless as a $300 netbook could replace it.