• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The perfect Spear House

Kiecker

As many of you know I am a rookie at spear fishing and have fallen in love with the sport. I have decided that I need to build my own spear house this summer, but with limited experience I was wondering what you guys think is the perfect house?

I was wondering what is the right size for a two man permanant house?

What are the essentials to make the house warm and comfortable?

What would you use as construction materials and would you recommend wheels or a skid system?

These are my three main questions but any other input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 4'x8'. It is a bit narrow but works fine for spearing. Fairly easy to move on skids.

I would do a 6'x6' if I rebuilt and wanted to keep it light. A little more room for basically the same weight and you can have a lot more leg room and/or room behind your back.

I used 2x3 cedar studs, thin galvinized metal for roofing and OSB (3/16"??) for sheeting. 1" yellow insulation between studs. A buddy heater keeps it toasty and I can move the heater around to make room depending on whether I am speaing or angling.

Elwood, Laska, and I had this same conversation on Saturday in the spear house.

I think the best we could come up with is that there is no perfect Spear house that fits every person every time. There are many variables that go into making the right spearhouse for you.

At least you know you are looking for a two man permanent house so that answers some of the questions right off the bat.

Here are some common floor layouts

4307134304_4162602632_o.jpg

I currently have layout #1 it is nice but; when the spearer in the back needs to get out of the house the spearer in the front needs to move out of his way. Two doors would help that issue.

I like this layout because you can still see the other guy spearing but you can also concentrate on your hole if you need to. I am still not sold on the fact that this is the best layout though. But it it does not bother me enough to change it.

I was wondering what is the right size for a two man permanent house?

Thanks guys

Do you need to put any type of padding under the carpet or is putting it right on the floor enough?

What would you put on the out sides, siding or just the plywood ?

Please keep your opinions coming

My spear hole is 47" x 29" it§ awsome and big enough for 2, I'd recommend metal skis mounted on the bottom of your shack around 4" from the ice, its pulls through a lot of snow and helps keep your shack from sinkin in nasty weather, I'm thinking of makin a 2 man with 2 doors and 1 hole- 47"x36" that will fit in my ranger, should be sweet... Ill be using 2x2's, with metal sheeting n insulating it like elwoods portable

If I build a second house, I would do an 8x8 with a big spear hole against the back wall.

I built my first house as a lightweight dual purpose house and would do the same if I do another one. Spear from first ice through new years, and then move it into deeper crappie water.

I may build a bigger one next summer, and put my small house out on a pike only lake that is a little further from home. Either that or put the big house on the crappies at first ice and keep the small one nearby for spearing.

First the one that I built that merk has is aluminum and the 1x2 ceader studs no luan plywood the floor is 1/2 inch plywood

My spear shack is 2x2 studs (pine) and Luan plywood with three good coats of paint on it and it will last a long time as long as the exterior is mantained every few years (paint,etc)

A friend of mine has a 5x8 double spear shack that is very nice with the holes on the same side (like shown in Merks pics) his holes are rather small but they work.

I myself am going to build a double with wheels for next year and it will be 6x8 and it will most likely have one great big hole instaed of 2. But I do like the idea of the hole in the middle of the house but the two doors would be a must.

insulation I have used is simple 3/4 inch white bead foam and paints black real easy and its light weight.

Skids verses wheels thats all depends if you have a trailer to haul the skid house in the first place if not its one extra thing you need.

the wheeled house is nice but will cost more money

This to me is a personal decision no better than one another.

All in All the perfect house is what you make of it and if you drive around abunch of differnt lakes and stopp and talk to spearing guys I'm sure they will also give you some ideas along with getting to look at some of their houses.

I have a 6x10 zack shack with a 2x5(maybe a litte bigger) hole about 2ft back from the front. I the framing allows I may move it back a few feet more so that I can sit opposing somone else. That way you can't get a sneak attack from underneath unless your partner is asleep. I also thougt about using a mirror at an angle to see better, for when I am alone. Has anyone done this, if so how does it work?

I also thougt about using a mirror at an angle to see better, for when I am alone. Has anyone done this, if so how does it work?

I think Big Roy was thinking of doing this last year using a bus mirror or something like that.

If I did it I would use a piece of polished stainless steel so it would be harder for me to break it. smile

When I plan something like this I take a sharpie and draw the floor plan out on the garage floor at full scale.

Grab your chair and sit there and figure out if you like a particular layout.

That is a great idea!!

Use sidewalk chalk or soapstone if you want less perm markings on your floor.

If you can mock up some walls too that would be good (temporary plywood or blankets) to close it in and really give you a feel for where the boundaries would be.

will have to watch your movement if using a mirror, the light reflecting up the hole will light up the area the mirror is pointed at, Thus making it easier for a fish to see movement through the mirror or just in the hole itself. Like those deer mirrors, sure you can see behind you, but the deer can see you too if precautions are not taken.